Covering a pool out of season

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Rob

Covering a pool out of season

Post by Rob »

Our heavy duty tarp is split in several places and I am doubtful if it can be repaired. It is in England now where I am so i could try. i would then have to ship it to Italy where the pool is. Alternatively I could buy a new one and ship it which seems to be cheaper than buying one there (was quoted €1200 by the pool man in Italy!). It will have be very heavyduty as the pool is in a very windy spot and quite big. I have found a 350gsm tarp which wd be suitable i guess.
Last year we left it uncovered which was not a good idea.
Has anyone any advice?
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Not sure what the answer is Rob but I would have thought that by the time you have bought one and shipped it out you will not be looking at much less than the local quote and no come-back if there are guarantee issues of any kind.

I don't know anyone down in southern Spain who would even contemplate trying to import one. Why not get another quote?

What size is it and is it an irregular shape?
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Rob

tarp

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the reply. The poolman has since told me the cover will cost "only" 800 euros but to buy a new one in the uk and send it out would still cost less. However I may be able to get it stitched here andf if so will then send it out. if i cant get it stitched then will get another quote.

The size is about 6m x 12m.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Ron, why was leaving it uncovered such a bad idea?

We have left ours, uncovered, part-drained and winterised for 10 winters now (in Languedoc) without any issues.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Doesn't sound like a bad price to me. Are you sure that you are comparing apples with apples for quality?

I agree that if you are in a windy area leaving uncovered is not very desirable option as you probably get a lot of leaves etc blown in, which is always expensive when you come to clean it. We cover our pool at the rental, which is half an hour away, as we don't want to have to keep going to clean it and check on it, but we leave our own pool uncovered so that we don't have to look at a cover.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Rob

covering the pool

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the replies. I was keen to cover the pool if possible to keep the dirt out as the wind blows a huge amount of it into the pool. Last year it snowed so heavily the cover split and the dirt came in so it was like not having a cover, and cleaning the pool later was very difficult. I think I'll get a new cover and send it out and yes I agree its important to compare quality.
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

We are in southern Italy, and don't cover our pool. To be honest, though, it is so big, I doubt we could get a cover on it. We are on site though, and can keep on top if it all winter.