Max. exceeded

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
CostaBlanca

Max. exceeded

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi,
Another query:- shortly after paying the balance on their holiday, clients informed me that that another 2 people, mother and son, were joining the group making it 9 (5 adults + 4 young children) in the group. Our 4 b/roomed accommodates 8 max. as stated on rental listing site - 2 double beds and 4 singles. I explained that the villa only has facilities for 8 and therefore their comfort may be comprised but they replied only by thanking me for allowing the extras.

They are now due at the week-end and I am worried that they will be looking for sleeping facilities for the youngest - 3 yr old. The dining table is for 8, sunbeds for 8 etc. I am a bit more anxious about these arrivals than normal.

Maria
gh

Post by gh »

Similar happend to us recently, booked by a family of 6 mum dad grandfather and three children. We sleep 8 in four bedrooms in two doubles and 4 singles, low and behold when we spoke to our neightbours last week they said that a third car had been parked outside for 4 days without moving.

When our caretaker sent his report he said that the house was rather untidy and the younger child (4) was walking up to the pool and throwing stones from the drive over the fence into the pool which took him additional time to clear out.

We spoke to the renters and they said yes they had invited some friends (4) to stay as they had spare beds, was that a problem. Er yes, god knows where they slept as we dont have bed settees pointed out as diplomatic as possible that they breached the T&C's they signed and a deduction from their deposit would be required. They were a tad annoyed, oh joy, we stuck to our guns and deducted £25 per person for their "little holiday".

At least yours Maria said before arriving, I would charge a hirer breakage deposit just in case, we dont allow more than 8 + baby(ies) at ours.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I think in a situation like this you have two choices

1) You make it ABSOLUTELY clear that the maximum occupency cannot be exceeded under any circumstances (blame insurance if necessary) and offer to find alternative accommodation locally.

2) Be very gracious, accept the extra guests, and put in an airbed or something for the three year old.

In this case I would tend to go for option two, as there will still only be five adults at the property. I wouldn't worry about the seating arrangements three year olds will sit on their parents knee quite happily, and will rarely eat the evening meal with everybody.

Fingers crossed for you.

Ju
A-two

Post by A-two »

I agree with Ju completely, and think I would be gracious and offer to make an exception on this one occasion and either add an air mattress, or probably ask them to bring one and the extra sheets and towels. If you offer to provide any of these extras for them, I would ask them to reimburse you for your out of pocket expenses.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Many thanks, Guys and gals.

Aparently, the extra people will not be staying full time at the villa. The twin rooms are not really big enough for an extra bed without tripping over so any mattress will have to into the doubles or the lounge. I had forgotten that my sofas can be converted into single beds. I do not advertise this as I use fitted sofa covers which would not be a nuisance to remove and put back on each day. I will probably go with that option if an extra bed is needed.

Thanks again
A-two

Post by A-two »

I lost a really good booking today because the guy refused to agree the total number of occupants..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

It had been agreed for the max number, which for us is 8 people. We went through the whole thing about numbers and beds for everybody and it was all fine. He signed the lease, paid the deposit, then told me there was a 9th person who may or may not be coming, plus an extra couple for a day trip, but they wouldn't be staying. By my count, we were up to 11 already, which I said exceeded our maximum.

He said , "Are you serious, it would be less than 20 people in total?". I said, "Yes, dead serious, it's a maximum of 8". He said, "What if we meet people while we're here and want to invite them back to the house for a drink?" I said, "That's not a problem, of course we are flexible within reason, but we also want to know who is using our house". Pause.

Maybe I should have seen this was coming because when he first called, he name dropped. His father is a public figure who is on TV nearly every other day. Now I realize that he was playing games and expected to get his own way simply because of the famous father.

Of course I am beating myself up for losing the booking, but hopefully we'll find someone else for that same week.
Last edited by A-two on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Bad luck Joanna, but well done for sticking to your guns. I've not had to deal with anything like this yet, but here in Italy the number of people I can let my apartments out to is specifically stated in my license - so I guess at least I have the law behind me if it ever does arise.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Joanna,

Brave decision but no doubt correct. Considering their disregard for your T&Cs before arrival, you would probably regret the booking after their arrival.

My guests have arrived, seem nice so far, hopefully I will still feel the same on their departure, 3 weeks away.

saludos,
Maria
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

If he told you in advance that there would be one or two more, you can bet the reality would be much worse - more like the 20 that he was quoting. I think that you are well out of it - let someone else have the hassle.

John
Mouse

occupancy numbers

Post by Mouse »

Yes I totally agree - I am finding that if you give a little with some people they want even more!

I've got a booking for someone for 2wks in august. They're returning from last year. Last year they wanted to bring a 9th person (we only take 8), I actually got a camp bed from a neighbour & accepted the 9th person. I didn't charge & did it as a goodwill gesture.
3 months ago she asked if she could use the camp bed again this year as there will be 9 in the 1st week. No mention of paying!? Again I said ok - not a problem.
3 days ago she emailed to ask if they could now have 11 people to stay in the villa in the 2nd week!?!? (I won't bore you as to why...people dropping out & being replaced etc). The extra are only children (5, 8, 12) and they'll sleep on air beds etc. No mention of paying!

I considered it for a moment & thought NO. Enough is enough. 11 would make it a dosshouse as there is no where for them to sleep really. Plus we only cater for 8 (bedding, towels, crockery etc)

When I said no, she then said..oh we will pay. I've now explained money isn't the issue - thats that.

I still felt guilty for an hour but know I've done the right thing.

Had I been in her situation I wouldn't even have asked!

Mouse (in a 'glad I've got that off my chest' kinda way!)
x
Vally

Post by Vally »

My god , what a nightmare , my properties only take 2 adults and ...so far ... I have never been asked for more than one more , which I can accommodate on a room only basis in the hotel. My friend has a bigger place 4+2 aand often gets more than she is expecting by the odd 1 or 2, I think the only way to avoid it is to state the cost for 6, 8 &10 or how ever many you can take, with minimum and a maximum cost and head count... my next conversion is going to be for 4 I am having nightmares already!! Well done for sticking to your rules.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I let out my place last winter for 4 plus child, but had a family of 5 with larger teenagers in there last year. I am going to remove all reference to 5 guests though, and advertise for 4 only. I feel it is too small for 5. We put the 5th bed in simply so other family members could use it. It also means my kids have separate beds. It's not the space when the beds are down that's the problem, it's the amount of people around.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

This has got me thinking. Our house sleeps 6 in 3 bedrooms but we rarely get parties of 6 booking. Usually it is just one family of 2 adults and 1, 2 or 3 children.

I'm now wondering why that is although I'm not complaining - it's the way I like it!