Facebook photos by professionals

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Nemo

Facebook photos by professionals

Post by Nemo »

I know some of you post or link to others photos on your facebook page, which is a really attractive way of showcasing your area.

How do you go about it? It's easy to post your own photos but how do you get a photo that is presumably copyrighted to the pro in question?

If you post a link, you only get a small image and I want a full size one. I have found several websites for Norfolk landscape photographers, but don't know where to start.
Last edited by Nemo on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo

Re: Facebook photos by professionals

Post by Jimbo »

Nemo wrote:... how do you get a photo that is presumably copyrighted to the pro in question?
The same way that you'd borrow a mower belonging to somebody that you didn't know, you'd ask permission from the owner. But don't be surprised if you're asked to pay a fee for the use, unless the photographer/mower owner can see a mutual advantage in supplying for free.
But, given that so many people lift whatever they fancy from the internet without permission, any photographer will immediately warm to somebody who's principled enough to ask first. So, if you're lucky, s/he might waive the fee.
Jim
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes Jim, (nice to hear from you :) ) that seems an obvious route per say, and I'm happy to do that, but then the photographer has to provide me with an image to use, via email or such like?

I know a couple of members post photos from pros; Windy springs to mind for starters, so perhaps I'll send him a PM to look at this thread.

I was hoping to pull things straight from the internet for speed, but maybe that's not possible if they've copyrighted them.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hi Nemo - I just "share" the photo on my page. It's that simple

I work on the assumption that if a photographer posts an image with the share button enabled he wants me to share it.

I am not cutting any grass or borrowing and mowers when I do so. The photographers in question often thank me for sharing.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Hmmm....

Are you sharing from a facebook page posting then?

I have gone to some websites and then obviously the image is copyrighted. Although I can then post a link, you only get the small image.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ok I've found a group page of Norfolk Photographers on Facebook, but don't think I can post unless I'm a member and you can only join as an individual? I don't want to join a group if I can't link it to my business page do I? Grrr....Facebook, confusing as usual.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Ah yes I see what you mean

Yes I share things the photographers put on their own Facebook pages. There are loads to choose from and if you follow the photographers you get a steady flow of great material you can share.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Right, gave up with searching on facebook itself and searched via google instead. Result! I have found three photographers so far with facebook pages and have shared a photo on my page. Comes up as full size on the page, and as a small image on the mobile app, but you can click on it to make it full size.

I want to add some atmosphere and things other than what the tourists can do, so that's a good start!
katz

Post by katz »

Windy wrote:Hi Nemo - I just "share" the photo on my page. It's that simple

I work on the assumption that if a photographer posts an image with the share button enabled he wants me to share it.

I am not cutting any grass or borrowing and mowers when I do so. The photographers in question often thank me for sharing.
That's exactly what I do too, most professional photographers watermark their photo's and by sharing their photo anyone who is interested can go back to the photographers website - I have had a few thank-yous too :)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Windy wrote:I work on the assumption that if a photographer posts an image with the share button enabled he wants me to share it.
No arguments from me - if photographers have indicated that they wish to 'share' their material, then do it. You'll be pleased and so will they. I hadn't realised that Nemo was referring to 'shared' photos in her original post - apologies if I've misunderstood.
Jim
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

No you didn't misunderstand Jim; I hadn't analysed how the photos were getting on to their Facebook pages, which was why I asked the question. :)

So the simple answer is to find photographers with Facebook pages who have the share link enabled (can you disable it? - don't know), whereas I had started my journey by looking at photographers websites. I would never have found them via Facebook as I don't know how you find anything relevant if you don't know their name/page name? So Google revealed a few relevant pages.

I shared my first photo yesterday and liked their page at the same time. The shot in question has been chosen to grace the front cover of North Norfolk Living magazine, due out in a few days.

I got liked back immediately :wink: and this comment. "Thanks for sharing. I am so excited to see the magazine next week."

So good karma all round then. :D
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

One further thought. I really like the fact that you can now postpone when you post something on Facebook into a point in the future. Great to do a batch of posts, but filter it over a week or so. Am I right in thinking that the facility doesn't exist to postpone a "share"? It looks as if you can only share instantly?