Dropbox

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
pambon

Dropbox

Post by pambon »

My total ignorance leads me to ask you enlightned souls two questions on the use of Dropbox to which I haven't found answers on their site that help me:cry:

One: why aren't changes I make in files on my laptop being automatically made in the same files in Dropbox? (Their site says Dropbox automatically synchs (updates?) files as you work on them.....this is not so in my case) I have to copy & paste the updated files into my Dropbox folder......(and if I forget...??!!)

Two: I shall be away later this month for 2 weeks without my laptop since I can't close the lid without the wires bursting out and the machine freezing :roll: Therefore I may need to access my rental files from my friend's pc; please may I have some info on how to do this as the site wasn't too clear about this - sorry I'm so stupid.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

when you open the file are you opening it from dropbox itself? I always thought that it doens't really sync to files on your computer, you are just working from the 'one in the cloud' which you then can access from anywhere
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

Not sure if this throws any light on your problem, but it may!

I have a 'Dropbox' folder in 'My Docs' and I've dragged and dropped the folders I want automatically backed up into the Dropbox folder.

For example, I have a folder called 'Business' which used to sit in My Docs and now to open it I have to open 'My Docs' then 'Dropbox' before finding it (ie 1 extra stage) but then it automatically backs itself up when altered from whatever machine.

If I need to look at something on a machine that I haven't installed Dropbox on, ie in an internet cafe when we're on holiday, I go to the Dropbox website and log in, then I can see my stuff.

Hope this makes some sense, if not, fire away with more questions and I'll endeavour to help.

Jan
pambon

Post by pambon »

roxytoo: No, I am working from my 'original' files on my laptop which I then have to copy and paste (or drag) into Dropbox.

La Chouette: I also have my Dropbox folder in 'My Docs' (and the icon on the lower toolbar for easy access) and copy & paste or drag anything I want in the cloud into my Dropbox folder. From what I understand La Chouette, what you you have in Dropbox you don't have anymore in My Docs??? and work exclusively from Dropbox???

I hadn't thought of doing that, but being old and set in my ways and struggling with technology I am happier keeping the files on my laptop and copies in the cloud. Which still doesn't answer the question why, when I work on my own computer files they aren't updated automatically into my Dropboxnfolder as I'm given to understand from their website......
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

Now I too am suffering from old age and lack of understanding! The only clouds I know are those that go scudding past in the sky.

My folders are still on My Docs, just in a folder within My Docs called Dropbox. As far as I remember, this is the way the programme installed itself on the PC, where I normally work, and the Netbook we have with us when we're away from home. Certainly, once I've saved a file or made a new folder in the Dropbox folder within My Docs, I need do nothing else, it just updates automatically.

Hopefully someone will be along soon that has more clue than me.

Jan
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Something not right here. I have downloaded dropbox to all the computers and phones I use. I can't write new docs in db but I can open and modify them from all those same computers. If I go to the Dropbox website I can access all the docs from any computer. They are downloaded to that computer.

However some docs with slashes or hyphens etc in the name just don't copy over to windows based operating systems so rename them without punctuation.

Does this seem to resolve the issues?
pambon

Post by pambon »

Not really wallypot:( None of my files have slashes or peculiar things in them!

I'm just trying to understand why, when I modify a file on my ancient laptop (a file which has been put into db so I virtually have two copies: one on my laptop and the same in db ) these modifications are not automatically updated in this same file which is in db. I either have to drag, or copy & paste, the modified file into db (my preferred way of dealing with this issue) - which will of course overwrite the original version it has, or I could then go into db and modify that copy of the file (provided I can remember what I have written if it's not too much! but I've never used this alternative method yet).

(Oh dear, NOW I'm under pressure from offspring and various friends to get a Mac.....but there is no-one here to help me understand it.
WHY is technology so complicated?)
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I dont understand why you are having the problem. You have downloaded dropbox software to your computer right?
If so then I am at a lost. I have removed all the original documents from the 3 computers I use pretty much daily - as if one dies (as is currently the case) I still have access to all the information from everywhere through dropbox.

I have to admit that I love my macs, but I have had one for over 20 years, and they do take a bit of getting used to unless you are 5, in which case they are obvious.

I wish I could help more, sorry.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

pambon wrote:Not really wallypot:( None of my files have slashes or peculiar things in them!

I'm just trying to understand why, when I modify a file on my ancient laptop (a file which has been put into db so I virtually have two copies: one on my laptop and the same in db ) these modifications are not automatically updated in this same file which is in db. I either have to drag, or copy & paste, the modified file into db (my preferred way of dealing with this issue) - which will of course overwrite the original version it has, or I could then go into db and modify that copy of the file (provided I can remember what I have written if it's not too much! but I've never used this alternative method yet).

(Oh dear, NOW I'm under pressure from offspring and various friends to get a Mac.....but there is no-one here to help me understand it.
I think the problem is that you have three 'copies' of your files/folders - one where it/they always were, one in the dropbox folder on your laptop and one on the dropbox website. It is only the latter two that will synchronise with each other. Dropbox will only synchronise when (it is running and) you copy the newly changed file(s) to your laptop's dropbox folder.

You need to move the relevant files/folders to your laptop's dropbox folder and work on those files there (not just copy them to your dropbox folder after you've worked on them). If you work on files that aren't in your dropbox folder they won't synchronise. Ever. End of.

The files in your laptop's dropbox folder are your local copy and the synchronised copy on the dropbox website is your 'backup'. When something goes wrong you can download a copy from the dropbox website to a new local dropbox folder on a new laptop and start again.

The Mac/PC argument is a diversion, not the solution!
pambon

Post by pambon »

RichardHenshall wrote:
pambon wrote:Not really wallypot:( None of my files have slashes or peculiar things in them!

I think the problem is that you have three 'copies' of your files/folders - one where it/they always were, one in the dropbox folder on your laptop and one on the dropbox website. It is only the latter two that will synchronise with each other. Dropbox will only synchronise when (it is running and) you copy the newly changed file(s) to your laptop's dropbox folder.

You need to move the relevant files/folders to your laptop's dropbox folder and work on those files there (not just copy them to your dropbox folder after you've worked on them). If you work on files that aren't in your dropbox folder they won't synchronise. Ever. End of.

The files in your laptop's dropbox folder are your local copy and the synchronised copy on the dropbox website is your 'backup'. When something goes wrong you can download a copy from the dropbox website to a new local dropbox folder on a new laptop and start again.

The Mac/PC argument is a diversion, not the solution!

Thank you RH; I think you have answered my question and I will have to begin using the files in my db instead of those on my laptop. Thank you!
Vera

Post by Vera »

I'm a big fan of Dropbox and we use it on 3 PCs.

The problem we have is if 2 of us are working on the same file and both save it we end up with conflicting versions, can you set up a warning to stop this happening?
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Nice spot RH.