finally... i'm online!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
B&B netherlands

finally... i'm online!

Post by B&B netherlands »

my website has been slumbering quite a while in my youngest son's pc, as the second bathroom wasn't finished yet - so no photo of it. it will be put on probably next weekend, after 'the last hand' has been given to finish it. it's already 'in use', though the ceiling needs some work including installing the proper lights... my guests are raving about it, though it is fairly simple.

i received an enquiry from the usa, specifically asking for photos, and the old set at several listing sites is a bit 'dated'.

i've used the same bedlinen, but in the meantime have bought wonderful a bit more colourful bedlinen: white with a pattern of red roses. had no time to iron these, though, when the 'photographer' came along, unexpectedly.

http://www.bandb-deberk.nl

text is in dutch, i'll soon start working on the english version!

lydia
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Well done Lydia. Looking forward to seeing more shots with the new bedding etc soon.
B&B netherlands

thanks sue! most laymyhatters have stunning websites, but they also have stunning properties ;)

i've learned a lot, actually, from hanging around on this forum. as a complete newbie in the 'business' in may 2009, i can tell you that there are NO sources of help, support, advice (even on towels! oops...) to be found in the netherlands. listing sites enough, indeed. they promote 'join us, we'll help you', but they actually try to force you into their 'way of thinking'.

i've learned to cherish LMH, after checking my email at breakfast, after i serve breakfast to my guests of course, i log into LMH...
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

B&B netherlands wrote:thanks sue! most laymyhatters have stunning websites, but they also have stunning properties ;)
I wish...... :oops:

My site is a bit of an embarrassment TBH. I need to get professional help for a new one I've decided, I just don't know where to go.

That looks a good site Lydia, look forward to the English version and the new bedlinen. :)
B&B netherlands

thanks nemo! you're actually one of my 'favourite' LMH'ers, to be honest... will check your 'embarrassing' website (sorry, i didn't do that earlier!)

i was sort of lucky, with two sons in the IT business, though their lack of 'spare time' (for mom! buiness wise!) gave the site you saw now, a looooong developing time. right, from monday i have home work' to do - translating... the new bedlinen WAS appreciated by previous guests, though most just want to SLEEP, and tell me i must be crazy to iron, 'we never do that at home, ourselves!' ;)
pambon

Post by pambon »

B&B netherlands wrote:thanks sue! most laymyhatters have stunning websites, but they also have stunning properties ;).....
Couldn't agree more B&B! I love your rooms; look so homely and comfortable. Never visit Holland, but should I.....!!
B&B netherlands

@nemo indeed - your website doesn't do justice to your lovely properties, though the contents are clear and inviting! hope you'll find a designer to fit your taste, without costing a fortune...

@pambon i'm quite close to schiphol airport, so even a longish weekend is a nice possibility. amsterdam centrum is at your feet in less than 1 hour by public transportation, i can give you loads of tips for places and walking tours there that are not in the obvious guidebooks, the flower auction in aalsmeer is only a few busstops away... and LMH'ers (ask sue!) can count on the extra service of buying you a nice supply of tasty dutch cheeses, produced locally, which you will hardly find in ANY tourist shop!

april in amsterdam...? ;)
pambon

Post by pambon »

B&B netherlands wrote:@nemo indeed - your website doesn't do justice to your lovely properties, though the contents are clear and inviting! hope you'll find a designer to fit your taste, without costing a fortune...

@pambon i'm quite close to schiphol airport, so even a longish weekend is a nice possibility. amsterdam centrum is at your feet in less than 1 hour by public transportation, i can give you loads of tips for places and walking tours there that are not in the obvious guidebooks, the flower auction in aalsmeer is only a few busstops away... and LMH'ers (ask sue!) can count on the extra service of buying you a nice supply of tasty dutch cheeses, produced locally, which you will hardly find in ANY tourist shop!

april in amsterdam...? ;)
:lol: :lol: Lydia; after almost half a century here I'm fighting a constant 'pasta' battle regarding the WEIGHT issue...please no cheese! (I used to eat a kilo a week :oops: )
I've reached the stage (i.e. age) in life that when I travel it's to relax and DO NOTHING!!! The flower market sounds tempting though.
Maybe; perhaps! (As my OH says!)
Pam
tavi

Post by tavi »

b&b - your site looks great- gives the impression of a property which is clean, fresh and welcoming - just how a B&B should be.

...how useful to have sons in the business!
B&B netherlands

pam, my cheese supplier also has great 20+ ripened goat cheese. 1 kilo a week?!?! i eat cheese, as most dutchies... i thought my half kilo a week was 'too much'.

i must be of the same (or so) age, i could eat anything up to the age of 40, after that, the kilos kept coming and coming...

relaxing, the best thing to do, while being on a holiday, i totally agree with you. reading a good book, lazing in the garden, pick some fresh herbs there for dinner... enjoy that dinner with friends...

the flower auction is a world wide distibution point of flowers and pot plants, HUGE building, not just a 'market'. hundreds of trucks every day. they organize early morning visits for 'non buyers', very interesting to see once. get up early, though, the main 'auctioning' starts around 7 am.

sue and i spent a very lazy day last year september, had lunch with herring and dutch cheese, after which we took the bus to the village center, to enjoy a beer and a glass of wine, on the border of the river amstel. relaxing enough, for you...?

tavi, thank you for your reaction. i am now puzzled, as you are the 5th or so to mention the word 'clean', looking at the photos. (i noticed this afternoon, that the inside of the windows really needed washing...)

my present young lady guest is asleep, i gave her the choice of 6 pieces of cheese for breakfast, hahaha. she is dutch, of course.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

sue and i spent a very lazy day last year september, had lunch with herring and dutch cheese, after which we took the bus to the village center, to enjoy a beer and a glass of wine, on the border of the river amstel. relaxing enough, for you...?
I have very happy memories of the Amsterdam Indian summer last year and drinking Amstel on the Amstel with Lydia!

I've met quite a few LMHatters, France, Spain, Boston, Amsterdam (and almost South Africa) and I'm very grateful for this opportunity through LMH! Plus it was a bonus finding Lydia with the same unusual medical condition and sharing notes, creaks and groans!
B&B netherlands

:D :D :D
mfarmer

Post by mfarmer »

One small suggestion: increase the width of the webpages and decrease the length so that users do not have to scroll around as much. Good site, tells me everything I need to know and the pictures are of a very good quality.
pizza-salsa

Post by pizza-salsa »

b&b I like your site and the rooms looks welcoming, homely, and somewhere I would like to stay if I were looking for a b&b.
Looking forward to the English version so I can read it!
good luck! :)
B&B netherlands

mfarmer, i do agree that 'less scrolling' would be a good idea - or simplifying the text...? difficult choice.

i'm thinking now maybe 2 photos per page (showing the rooms from different angles) would be nicer...? smaller ones...?

it's not easy, i've seen so many brilliant websites here, mine, compared to that, is just... simple (which i prefer myself, but will my prospective guests understand and get that message?)

pizza-salsa, you brought a pleasant glow onto my cheeks :)

i'm thinking the text for the english version should be 'adapted' to what people want to find: i'm not in a spectular 'environment' for tourists, as my part of the country is not much promoted, abroad. all attention is focused on 'highlights of...' mainly amsterdam.

should i focus on cyclists, had a few brits already loving it here, also returning guests from germany and belgium, so i'm thinking about that. for the rest the closeness to schiphol airport (10 kms) could be an interesting point, though i can unfortunately not offer transportation, as i do not have a car. i'd love to receive guests i can introduce to the pluspoints of my village, but how to find out which people are interested in the 'secret little things' sue and i enjoyed that beautiful 'indian summer' afternoon...?

thanks to all who took the time to look at my website, and gave me your much appreciated feedback!