Deducting from the security deposit

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Fortunately it wasn't HR.com, but French Entrée and I think the woman who ran it and put us in touch originally has left - in any case I have never had any other bookings from them, so I'm not going to lose anything.
I won't stop the cheque - as you say CatherineS there is no point in continuing the saga any further. I have replied to his various comments (and lies) and will leave it at that. It is the first time I have had anyone come out with such accusations - I've never had any complaints before, but I guess there had to be a first at some stage! The most annoying thing is that I really went above and beyond with organising his birthday, phoning, sorting out other problems they had with hire cars etc, booking taxis.... all for nothing.
Thanks to everyone here for their support, I really appreciate it.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

What a jerk!

Susan, you're doing the right thing. Some bookings are just regrettable.
Brooke
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I hope you pointed out to him all the instances where you were especially helpful.
It sounds as though his letter to you was designed to get under your skin, so don't let it. Easy to say, I know. I would be absolutely fuming! Some people are just not worth bothering about and I would suggest a bottle of wine and a nice big bar of chocolate. You deserve it.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Susan,
I'm sorry to hear this, but not surprised. By deducting so little, you sent the message that his behavior while there and the way he left the place was not bad at all, otherwise you would have deducted more. Sorry, but I think that was the wrong message to send and that's why you are getting this response.

In your shoes, I would now be very tempted to tell him to grow up and to thank his lucky stars that he's got away with so little, but strongly advise you not to do that or anything else. Don't reply to him, don't contact the listing site, don't cancel the cheque. You are dealing with a person who has to have the last word and the last thing you want to do is add more fuel to the fire.

Regarding the deposit return, you decided that he was entitled to some of it and sent him the cheque, so you cannot now reverse that decision and decide he is not entitled to it after all simply because he's being nasty to you. That is not a deductable event. If you do stop the cheque, you'll be giving him a valid reason to complain, which so far he doesn't have. That's the reason why you don't want to do it.

I have no idea how listing sites deals with complaints anyway, (it would be an interesting topic to discuss), but I'm sure they talk to both sides. If you pre-empt the situation, you are giving them a reason to contact him for his side of the story. More fuel on the fire. Let it go and if he does complain, I'm sure they will let you know, at which time you will be given an opportunity to defend yourself.

His friends and family think you rude? Really? Well, I sure hope so because you certainly don't want any of them back either.

You are a complete saint in my book. Nobody could have handled a very difficult situation more sensitively, always giving him the benefit of the doubt, going above and beyond to be helpful and understanding.

He's demonstrated very clearly that he's a complete jerk, but you're never going to win any argument because he's also an arrogant jerk. So don't give him another minute of your attention, delete him from your brain and chalk it up to experience, knowing that you will never have to deal with him or his friends again for the rest of your life.

You've said your piece, he's said his. You've accounted for his deposit. There's nothing more to be said. That's the end of it.

My 2 cents.
Last edited by A-two on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Well said Joanna.

Susan, I hope the rest of the season goes well and you don't get any more idiots. Unfortunately I think we all get one eventually which makes you wonder why you go the extra mile, but there are heaps of great guests out there who really appreciate the extra effort we owners make.

Big Hug.

Ju
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks again all of you - I did do a reply to his points. I was rather rude on the Saturday but only after the 10am deadline had expired along with their rental period.
Joanna, you are right, I was too soft, I even lent them my stereo for the birthday evening (it still works). Luckily, as Ju says, guests like that are few and far between, the vast majority are lovely and really appreciate the accommodation and hospitality offered.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Here here Ju - Joanna, you've summed it up perfectly. It would be gratifying to reply and put the jerk in his place but better for you Susan, to maintain a dignified silence now.

Unbelievable that he seemed to think he was within his rights to delay departure for 1 1/2 hours simply because he had a young family - we all appreciate the difficulties, but that's a long time. It's as if he is the only person in the world in this situation! Yes, extremely arrogant.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

You went the extra mile Susan, you tried really hard and have nothing to be worried about, he's got to have the last word, just like someone else said. He and his party are gone forever- you still live in your lovely corner of the World !! Enjoy :lol:
enid

Post by enid »

Susan - all our sympathies - agree with others that you just have to swallow hard and put it behind you - we had friends here last year who really took advantage of our hospitaiity and I received a not very nice letter fromthem afterwards - very hurtful mainly because it was unjust - as were these comments.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

"friends"????

I don't think so... :?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Obviously not.
enid

Post by enid »

yes well that was the hurtful thing - I had known them for over 30 years. I had some good support from this forum at the time - Susan's client's e mail just reminded me. Now we have set a new rule - friends are welcome to stay in our gites - and pay with a slight discount - this particularly includes friends who never visited us in the UK. Real friends - those who are there for us in good times and bad - are always welcome - but I am counting them on one hand these days.

At least this guy was a client - and one I wouldn't worry about not seeing again.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Susan you handled the deduction from his damage deposit with total class! That's one thing he obviously doesn't have. You most have felt he was taking total advantage of your reasonableness with that reply.
Infact I was so annoyed reading it I was ready to pen a reply!?

I had a similar experience last year with a group. Same type of situation...disrespectful of the villa and couldn't organise themselves to get out by 10 (I had to knock them up at 9.45!). They also offered pitiful excuses (even though they knew the time of departure) and also accused me of things I hadn't done..but its all part of the game they play to convince themselves that they're reasonable people.

I charged less than I could have and got a very sharp reply threatening solicitors etc. Luckily I've worked in customer service most of my life - so I know the way some people react and to react back, as others have said, is really just adding fuel to their fire (although it is SOOOOO tempting)

At the end of the day you can hold your head up and know you dealt with it all correctly and decently. And who cares what a load of jumped up morons think anyway!!!!!!!!????

And even if they don't think your a lovely person...I certainly do!

Hugs

Mouse
Vally

Post by Vally »

Have only just read the whole tale right through, what a horrible thing to have to deal with , for myself I hate these feed back things , ( never read anything anyone says about the hotel , as if its too good I may start to believe in my own myth and if its bad I would be too upset) you have no control over what people put and as you have found from his remarks they may be totally untrue or biased to their own way of thinking.
Why don't people speak up when they have a problem , we all make mistakes soonest admitted soonest mended.