Make us or break us, what do you think?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
shamac

Make us or break us, what do you think?

Post by shamac »

This is going to planning to be built about a mile from our cottage

http://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/ ... -1-5133408

We are in a spin really, with no idea whether it will be the making of us, people staying with us to use the facilities etc or whether people will think, why not stay on site, no doubt it will be cheaper per night than us. Anyone else got a place near something like this, eg center parcs and if so how does it affect your trade.
The harder you work, the luckier you get.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Your house looks fabulous so I guess it will always be a very popular place for people to visit and having a resort like the one proposed near by can only add to your prominence in the area. It looks like it'll be a great place to take the screaming kids to on a wet day at very short notice and will no doubt have convenient eating places etc. You need to increase your web presence and go along with it instead of getting into a spin about it. Let them spend a fortune promoting the area for you. It's not everyone who'll want to stay on a modern Butlins type holiday camp, so target the individuals who will appreciate the privacy of your beautiful holiday house - 'within easy reach of a very modern resort suitable for all the family'.......... :wink:
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
sheesh

Post by sheesh »

I completely agree with salmoncottage - you have a fabulous place, in a great location. Most of us could only dream of a leisure facility like that on the doorstep! Embrace it, use it, profit from it and enjoy it!

Sheesh
tavi

Post by tavi »

You won't be selling the same thing at all.

The accommodation at the new place will be homogenised, uniform, standardised, etc... all in a holiday camp atmosphere. There will always be some people who want that but they wouldn't be booking your place anyway - even now.

Those that want a personalised home from home with all the trimmings, service, will continue to go for your lodge. From glancing at a couple of your fab reviews...you already offer a very much appreciated service of personal touches.

And the option of a day's membership at the new park will just be an possible attraction for your guests.

P.S. I bet the holiday park's accommodation ends up far more expensive than your place!
Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne »

Hi shamac

I have cottages further up the coast from you by Holy Island

Fully understand your concern however this will have positives and negatives. I am not an expert on these centres but if the activities are kept 'in house' then there is no advantage for our clients as people would have to stay there to use the facilities.

If they let outsiders in then it could be great for us as it's another string to our bow !

There will be cross selling though - People staying at a cottage may try the centre next time and vice versa so there could still be an upside.

Also the markets are totally different as most people visit the area to relax and recharge not be with thousands of people and doing activities so don't lose sleep I certainly wont !!
:) :)
People in Stone Houses should not throw Glass

Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Looking at prices for Center Parcs recently, and assuming this will be similar, I was astonished at how expensive they were. I doubt they will be cheaper than your lodge.
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

I agree with salmon cottage. When we were taking our kids away we couldn't afford to stay in the big complexes but having facilities nearby were always a bonus especially on wet or cold days. You may find it actually increases your bookings. When its built I would highlight it on your website. People always want to go to a popular area but may not want or be able to pay the prices that the big boys charge
NonnaGiulietta

Re: Make us or break us, what do you think?

Post by NonnaGiulietta »

shamac wrote:about a mile from our cottage
Hi shamac, me too, like the most of other, think that in the short run you can gain an advantage. In the end these structures increase the popularity of the whole area, so everyone in the surroundings, some more some less, should benefit. But there is the other side of the coin.

A sour digression first... "Ambitious plans (...) which will create up to 700 jobs" must be read unqualified|underpaid jobs. Also, it's almost comical to see how the propaganda for fools always write up to instead of not less than :twisted:

The bad news is that places like this survive as long as they are in fashion: like all things without history, after you've seen them once... next! There is always something newer to see (and another 700 people to entice). The second issue I see is the "nine-turbine windfarm" part. If they are going to be installed close to your property, trust me, it's best if you start thinking about moving. In the end, it's better to sell by choice when the value is high, rather than by necessity when it has slumped down.

Sorry, did not want to scare you :roll:
Nonna Giulietta Apartment
NG on Facebook

God gave us the gift of speech, but has taken from us that of silence (Sergio Bolgeri, painter)