Thanksgiving - I never seem to book it

For topics that are specific to the USA, please go here.
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Thanksgiving - I never seem to book it

Post by arkvilla »

I know Thanksgiving is a huge holiday in the USA but we never seem to get Thanksgiving booked, I think maybe beacuse we tend to get mostly UK guests.

How do other US homeowners get on with booking Thanksgiving out?

Sandra
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Well I love to travel during the holidays because we don't have a lot of family here, but the airfares are so expensive it is prohibitive for 4 of us to fly anywhere! So we are home again for the holidays. Same with Christmas. Just had an enquiry from airbnb for a couple wanting to book for 4 days Dec 21-25 but my children will be home so couldn't accept it - at least I was found!!! I am never happy!!!
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

*knock on wood* I have never had it empty. I had a cancellation this year though so it is at the moment...but I've had three emails today about the dates and the current guests are thinking of staying, so I'm guessing it will be gone even at the last minute. I rarely book the full week though - 3-5 nights usually (at high season rates.) Are you only advertising the full week? Maybe make sure to let on you accept shorter stays since most people don't have the week off work and will want Wed-Sun. (give of take a day.) The kids only get off school here Thursday and Friday. Most of my Thanksgiving enquiries have come from vrbo - never have had one from a UK site. Good luck!!
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

p.s. Mozzie - we have found airfare abroad to be very reasonably priced over the Thanksgiving holiday. It's only domestic that is crazy-priced usually! We recently spent a lovely Thanksgiving in Italy ;-)
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Good to know - thanks! Last year we looked at Mexico but it was outrageous but probably too close to USA so prices high. Will have a look at Italy for next year! I love travel!
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Hey Musetta, how are things your way after Sandy?
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

Musetta wrote:*knock on wood* I have never had it empty. I had a cancellation this year though so it is at the moment...but I've had three emails today about the dates and the current guests are thinking of staying, so I'm guessing it will be gone even at the last minute. I rarely book the full week though - 3-5 nights usually (at high season rates.) Are you only advertising the full week? Maybe make sure to let on you accept shorter stays since most people don't have the week off work and will want Wed-Sun. (give of take a day.) The kids only get off school here Thursday and Friday. Most of my Thanksgiving enquiries have come from vrbo - never have had one from a UK site. Good luck!!
All my adverts say a minimum of 4 nights, never mind, luckily I have from the 3rd to 17th booked so that's something at least.

I wonder if my website or my reply's are too 'English'

Would any of you US guys have a lok at mystandard reply to an enquiry and let me know your thoughts ( I will pm you the reply)

Thank you :)
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

This year we got a last minute booking for the whole of Thanksgiving week from an American family, but I think that's a first. Usually there are Europeans in the condo this time of year.

My rental agency said that celebrating Thanksgiving away from home has gone down after 911.
Pessimists only get positive surprises.