New desktop computer - what make?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

What's all the fuss about Windows 8 ?
I have a laptop running Windows that is 87 versions ahead of that :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
CSE

Post by CSE »

What's all the fuss about Windows 8 ?
Watch this review from lockergnome and his father.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU
Now for Linux
http://youtu.be/ltE_ekc8kE8
or this maybe?
http://cnet.co/RaEyHc
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well that must be a miracle to still have a functioning machine on Windows 95..... :shock: Clearly you know more about computers than I, if you have been able to nursemaid it along for this long!

Windows 8......Windows 8? A steep learning curve indeed. My goodness I'm in for the long haul here having spent a few hours today on the set up.

Coupled with IE10.......OMG. I thought I had two IE systems until I googled and found that there are two set ups - the metro version which opens from the tile on your start page, or the desktop version from your toolbar. With me so far?! One bug that has manifested itself is that it is not saving all the user names and passwords. Some sites will - LMH for example, but my website hosting/domain name provider etc doesn't. :roll: No fix so far for this bug apparently.

I have now downloaded Firefox, thinking that might provide an easier answer, but no, it will not import my complete favourite list, so half my regular websites aren't bookmarked. :evil:

Sigh......surely it will get easier....... :?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You could try Google Chrome, as it is a faster browser than FF.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Nemo wrote:Well that must be a miracle to still have a functioning machine on Windows 95..... :shock: Clearly you know more about computers than I, if you have been able to nursemaid it along for this long!

Windows 8......Windows 8? A steep learning curve indeed. My goodness I'm in for the long haul here having spent a few hours today on the set up.

Coupled with IE10.......OMG. I thought I had two IE systems until I googled and found that there are two set ups - the metro version which opens from the tile on your start page, or the desktop version from your toolbar. With me so far?! One bug that has manifested itself is that it is not saving all the user names and passwords. Some sites will - LMH for example, but my website hosting/domain name provider etc doesn't. :roll: No fix so far for this bug apparently.

I have now downloaded Firefox, thinking that might provide an easier answer, but no, it will not import my complete favourite list, so half my regular websites aren't bookmarked. :evil:

Sigh......surely it will get easier....... :?

PLEASE Nemo.........I am about to have a heart attack :wink:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

pambon wrote:PLEASE Nemo.........I am about to have a heart attack :wink:
Its OK pambon; as long as you have heart attack version 2 or later, you'll be fine :?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks Helen, I have so far avoided Chrome, but I suppose I should try it soon. I'm just trying to limit quite how much new stuff I expose my addled brain to, as it's in information overload at present. :(

Pambon........I'm here for you! If I get a two week start ahead of you, I may, just may, be able to help you a little. No promises mind you! :wink:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

e-richard wrote:
Its OK pambon; as long as you have heart attack version 2 or later, you'll be fine :?
No Richard, I think it must be at least version 4 or later....anything under this could well require hospitalisation. :lol:
pambon

Post by pambon »

Nemo wrote:
e-richard wrote:
No Richard, I think it must be at least version 4 or later....anything under this could well require hospitalisation. :lol:

No, not a heart attack, sorry, it's a virus and bug :wink:
CSE

Post by CSE »

One bug that has manifested itself is that it is not saving all the user names and passwords. Some sites will - LMH for example, but my website hosting/domain name provider etc doesn't.
Nemo, that could be because you are signing into a secure website: IE it is HTTPS not HTTP. FireFox will not save the passwords for the former either.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

No I understand what you're saying but that's not the case. This is a known bug with cases dating back to the beta version as far back as 2009. They release it in 2012 and still haven't solved the bug!