Security deposit

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Bellywobble

Security deposit

Post by Bellywobble »

I've received the final balance for guests arriving on 3rd August. They haven't sent the security deposit though.

I emailed her and reminded her that we needed that as per booking conditions, and that I would send an email to cofirm when it arrives and let her have the directions at the same time. She ignored this and sent me an email asking for directions and how to get the keys etc.
I have now emailed back again to remind her to send the security deposit!

It seems a small thing to do battle over, but it's irritating as I don't want to have to ask for it when she arrives.
I'm tempted to just send the directions and not make an issue of it. Has anyone else had this happen?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I wouldn't send her the directions until she does, but I'm in a grouchy mood this evening.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I wouldn't give her directions or keys to your house until she fulfills her end of the contract, period.

I don't think that's being grouchy, it's just good business. There's something shady about her if she's deliberately ignoring the deposit.

But as she gets closer to August 3rd and still has no way of actually getting to her vacation spot, just stay firm and see how quickly the deposit comes.
Brooke
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

She hasn't kept her side of the bargain, so no directions. I would send one last email to say that if you don't receive the deposit by Friday, you will consider the booking cancelled.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I agree, she has not kept to her side of the contract, so I would insist on the security deposit be sent asap or the rental contract would be void (with no refund of any monies already paid)..harsh, but it will get results!

PS ...I'm in a grouchy mood today too!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

:)
A-two

Post by A-two »

vrooje wrote:as she gets closer to August 3rd and still has no way of actually getting to her vacation spot, just stay firm and see how quickly the deposit comes.
That's right and while I agree with not sending directions until she complies if that's part of your agreement with her, I would definitely not go so far as to threaten to cancel the booking altogether with no refund. That's a very hostile act, and a completely unnecessary thing to do from which you have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Right now, you hold all the cards, but if you cancel the booking at this late stage for what could be viewed as a relatively minor default, that's possible grounds for a lawsuit against you, including damages and costs that may include full refund plus pre-paid air fare, ferry tickets, legal costs and who knows what else. Even if there's only a 1:100 chance of things progressing that far, why would you want to put yourself at risk in this way?

Instead, I would just put on a big smile and tell her that you're really looking forward to meeting her soon and would like to help her out, but unfortunately she's asking you to change the terms of the contract and that's not possible at this late stage. Therefore, you regret that you won't be able to send her the directions until she sends the deposit as per the agreement and there's nothing you can do about it, sorry. Then sit tight and wait. That's not being unreasonable, or unfriendly, it's just doing business in a professional manner as Brooke says, and sending her the message that you expect her to stick to all aspects of the agreement, not just the parts she feels like honoring.

Added to that, threatening to cancel her booking could be viewed as an attempt to double-dip, meaning you want to keep her money and re-rent as well. I'm sure that you don't have any intention to do that at all, but I would definitely want to avoid creating the impression.

So I would simply respond again in a non-threatening way as if there's still a misunderstanding between you and stick to the one issue, standing firm. No security deposit = no directions. That's all. No talk of cancelling anything.

Good Luck!

Joanna
(who is not in a grouchy mood... :-))
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Joanna, nor am I this morning.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Excellent response, Joanna. Don´t send the directions!

A couple of weeks ago, I did not "stand firm" and accepted that clients could pay the security deposit on arrival against my better judgement. Their flight was delayed, they got lost and eventually I did not get to meet them on arrival as I had left the keys out for them. On 3rd morning of passing by the villa, I finally met them and extracted a cheque, not the bankers draft or cash which I had requested. So I was on edge all week knowing that a cheque could be cancelled at any time and wondering what kind of damage would be done. There was more damage that week than any other e.g. sunbed, plastic chair, etc. - the son was a big lad!. Even though, clients suggested that the items were already broken when they arrived, I think not. In the end, I did not bother trying to cash the stg. cheque (would have taken a min. of 2 weeks) and put the breakages down to normal wear and tear.

I read that in France that the French generally pay their security deposit by cheque. I think that it is much more practical for us to have money in the bank before arrival.

Suerte!

Maria
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Thanks everyone. I will be firm!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Maria wrote:I read that in France that the French generally pay their security deposit by cheque.
Yes, this is because in France it is illegal to write a cheque if you don't have the money (I nearly typed "francs" then!!!) in the bank, and it is not easy to cancel a cheque once you have presented it, so a cheque is almost as good as cash.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had three sets of French guests last winter, they all paid as instructed , with one exception. They all paid their security deposit when asked though.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Catherine,

Same situation here in Spain with cheques.

Strangely, cheque books are not nearly so commonly used here as in the UK. Also all banks charge a commission when lodging or cashing cheques from other banks but that is another story.

Saludos,