Online Web page translation services

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
MadDogWoman

Online Web page translation services

Post by MadDogWoman »

:?: Hello there
After scouring your site and pinched lots of ideas I have finally created and published my own web site. I've thought about adding one of these translation services to my site as it is mostly text and translates reasonably well. I have got the HTML script (if that's what its called) but do not know how or where to add it. I am using Frontpage to publish and it's worked well so far but this is beyond me!
The one I am thinking about is Altavista Babel fish and this is the free thingy they give you - <script language="JavaScript1.2" src="http://www.altavista.com/static/scripts ... "></script>
Can anyone help me?
Nicola
HolidayWebs

Post by HolidayWebs »

Have you actually checked the translation or got it checked by a native speaker. I've translated sites from other languages to English using on-line translators & they're pretty awful. If translation is important to you why not pay to have it translated. I have put work out to tender at
www.proz.com & now have a Spanish translator who I can use as required - costs about 9 euro cents per word. I do speak & write some Spanish but a native translator is always best.
Last edited by HolidayWebs on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit http://www.puertopollensa.com ... you'll love it!
The most beautiful resort in Mallorca.
MadDogWoman

Post by MadDogWoman »

HolidayWebs wrote:Have you actually checked the translation or got it checked by a native speaker. I've translated sites from other languages to English using on-line translators & they're pretty awful. If translation is important to you why not pay to have it translated. I have put work out to tender at www.proz.com & now have a Spanish translator who I can use as required - costs about 9 euro cents per word. I do speak & write some Spanish but a native translator is always best.
I do speak a resonable amount of French, for example, and am fairly good at reading it too - not like a native by any means -but I can quite clearly see it has translated reasonably accurately into French. I just thought it may be useful for non-English speakers/readers to be able to get the gist of what is being said on my site.
paolo

Post by paolo »

MadDogWoman,

I love your name!

I used this free, human translation service:
http://www.thewordsmith.cjb.net

See the previous discussion thread here:
viewtopic.php?p=895#895
I thought her translation was good, and I showed it to a French friend who said it was very good.

I have no idea why she does it, she says she enjoys it. She will translate anything for free and quickly.

This is not the same as you asked about, but you could add permanent pages in French, rather than a translation on request.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
MadDogWoman

Translation

Post by MadDogWoman »

:D Hi Paolo

Thanks for your reply (and it's Nicola, by the way, but I AM mad on dogs!). I saw a post about the free "human" translation and that site in particular on another forum. I have rather too many pages, I think, for translation and rather liked the idea of the user being able to translate the pages into a number of different languages not just French. I have used this Babel Fish service on German and Dutch language pages before and whilst the translation is not perfect, I will admit, it does give enough information for potential clients to be able to decide whether to proceed or not.

I would still like to know how and where to paste bits of HTML scripts into my Frontpage pages for future reference so if there is anyone out there who can help me I'd be grateful!

Nicola
HolidayWebs

Post by HolidayWebs »

Hi,

am afraid I don't use Front Page but you will need to find a 'view' of your page that shows the html code. You then need to equate this code with the layout of your page - it needs to be within the tags called <body> & </body> (this the 'body' of your page) & just paste the code in there & view it in your browser. You should see the little translation form displayed there. Take a copy of your page & have a go. If you don't like the position you can move it. I should think that once you've pasted it will show as a little icon to represent the JavaScript on your normal preview page.

Zelda
Visit http://www.puertopollensa.com ... you'll love it!
The most beautiful resort in Mallorca.
MadDogWoman

Post by MadDogWoman »

Thanks Zelda
I'll give it a go!
Nicola
:D
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

HI - I use Front Page. Here's how I paste code in. I put the cursor where I would like the text/counter/whatever it is I am posting in on the Normal view. Then I click the HTML view and the cursor is flashing at the same point - paste in there and should work.

As you know because FP is "what you see is what you get" it is not easy to control where things end up on the page... in the preview it might look like you've left a gap/not left a gap but when you go online looks different...

Good luck and just drop me a message if I can help further. Sue :)
gloria_at_thecastle

Re: Online Web page translation services

Post by gloria_at_thecastle »

Hello, I found a wonderful translation system, Is possible to register free, and the languages are a lot, chinese, japanese, corean, spanish, french, italian.
It's possible to translate too, the web site, a new window will open with the translation.
I hope you'll like it.
Gloria :)
MadDogWoman wrote::?: Hello there
After scouring your site and pinched lots of ideas I have finally created and published my own web site. I've thought about adding one of these translation services to my site as it is mostly text and translates reasonably well. I have got the HTML script (if that's what its called) but do not know how or where to add it. I am using Frontpage to publish and it's worked well so far but this is beyond me!
The one I am thinking about is Altavista Babel fish and this is the free thingy they give you - <script language="JavaScript1.2" src="http://www.altavista.com/static/scripts ... "></script>
Can anyone help me?
Nicola
Gloria
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Welcome to The Forum Gloria,
Hello, I found a wonderful translation system, Is possible to register free, and the languages are a lot, chinese, japanese, corean, spanish, french, italian.
It's possible to translate too, the web site, a new window will open with the translation.
Please post the web site address and I am sure lots of people will look at it.

I use Systran which also comes in many languages but is not free.

Alan
gloria_at_thecastle

Free trial systranet translation

Hello Alan, thanks for the quick response.
I know the service isn't free normally, but it's possible to have a long term trial with no charge.
I'm using the system from an year for free.
Maybe is better to try, isn't it?!
Gloria
Alan Knighting wrote:Welcome to The Forum Gloria,
Please post the web site address and I am sure lots of people will look at it.

I use Systran which also comes in many languages but is not free.

Alan
Gloria
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, Gloria! Image

Can you tell us the name or website for this translation service?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
gloria_at_thecastle

HI!!!

paolo wrote:Welcome to the forum, Gloria! Image

Can you tell us the name or website for this translation service?
Hello Paolo, the website is www.systranet.com
they offer a free trial period, I'm registered from more than one year and I'vent payed nothing yet.
Can translate in a lot of languages Full website too.
Like all the traslation system, the translation are litterally, so is always better, to know just a few words in the other language to don't write things without any sense or wrong words!
I hope can help you, please tell me something, when you've tried.
Gloria
Gloria