Anyone got a diesel sit on mower

For anything to do with the garden and pool
wallypott

Anyone got a diesel sit on mower

Post by wallypott »

I have been looking into replacing our sit on mower which got reduced to a biscuit tin in the fire. Much taken with a diesel sit on Kubota GR 1600 II. I tried one out and I particularly like the noise - but it is twice the price of a petrol.

Thoughts please.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've never tried one. How many m² do you have Wally?
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

However desirable the diesel might be, I would have a problem buying something for twice the price of a petrol equivalent, unless I had an overriding reason for the choice. That being said, I did buy a more expensive strimmer with a 4-stroke engine last year, rather than the usual 2-stroke, which has been a delight to use - and it makes a great burbling noise!
Jim
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

LV I guess about a hectare of lawns. The diesel was definitely made of sterner stuff than the sit on I have previously owned, but of a similar size.

The problem is partly that the lawns are reclaimed field mostly. Can't mulch because with the dogs & kids etc it is way too messy, so I need to pick-up.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If you have that much grass and you want to collect, then I'd recommend John Deere. I had no end of worries with the cheaper tractor I had before, it was slow, the cut wasn't wide enough, the bac too small and it blocked continually. I bought JD X300R (expensive) with a turbo collect and it was such a pleasure to use. And comfortable!
Windy

Post by Windy »

I dream of one day having a lawn big enough for a ride on mower. Can I come an play on yours LV? :D
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Windy wrote:I dream of one day having a lawn big enough for a ride on mower. Can I come an play on yours LV? :D
Anytime Windy :wink: it must be a man thing - I don't get what is so great about sitting on a mower cutting the grass, but I get a lot of envious comments from male guests about my tractor mower too.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I invested in a Wolf 100A with hydraulic lift to empty the bac - VERY happy - it picks up grass even if its raining, never blocks and has a very low revving engine, so doesn't disturb guests when they are in the garden - I have nearly 2 hectaires to mow, and although the cutting blade is smaller than my last ride-on, it has reduced the mowing time by half because you can go much quicker. It is petrol, though....

I've just had a (male) friend here for two weeks on a working holiday and he wanted to use it all the time :lol:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

la vache! wrote:
Windy wrote:I dream of one day having a lawn big enough for a ride on mower. Can I come an play on yours LV? :D
Anytime Windy :wink: it must be a man thing - I don't get what is so great about sitting on a mower cutting the grass, but I get a lot of envious comments from male guests about my tractor mower too.
Absolutely. Forget about Bouncing Babes from Bangkok being the primary male fantasy. When I'm mowing our paddocks with the big MF tractor and topper, every male guest is enviously watching my every move.
Jim
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well there is obviously a market for Mowing Holidays in France then :-)
keithfenton
Location: property South west Corner of the dordogne St Meard de Gurcon. Me East Yorkshire

Post by keithfenton »

I have a Kubota B1550 compact tractor witha mid grass cutting deck can also do tractor things like rotovate post hole bore

bought second hand best thing I ever bought The rolls royce of garden tractors !
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Oh dear sorry a bit late on this one but with a hectare to cut (2.471 acres) I am a farmer!!! :oops:

I have had 2 JD diesel mowers first is still going, sold it to a friend at 15 years old and second now 14 years old and as near perfect as the day I bought it. So yes buy a diesel you will not regret it. :D
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179