Bulk emailing

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

gam wrote:It would appear that they do rely on images ("web beacons") so you're absolutely right. Someone could open and read your email with images turned off and MailChimp wouldn't know :roll:
Thanks gam for your detective work. That makes me feel a little better knowing that. :D
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Actually it was the result of an experiment with Readnotify, which itself uses the 1px image that led me to post my theories above :wink:

I guess at the end of the day, any sort of estimate is good enough for the purposes of analysing large mailshots, but does not help us with enquiry responses.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks Richard as well. Another of your condor moments then.....? :lol: :wink:
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well my stats for the first campaign were 43.6% opened

(I suspected they must be using the image load counting method, so I feel better about what seems a low number)

Of those 26.8% clicked through.

I have had at least one booking from it, and an unusually high pattern of repeat bookers in January so I THINK it has been a success.

I have just sent out our "March Madness" letter (discount off March bookings). It will be interesting to see if sending out 2 in 3 weeks gets a load of unsubscribes or not.

Mailchimp certainly makes it easy to get these out.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Windy wrote:Of those 26.8% clicked through..
To be pedantic, its actually 26.8% of the total that were delivered, not of those that were opened :D

Now, I have also noticed that there was one nerd who apparently opened the message 9 times ! Quite a few other multiple opens too. You cannot tell whether that person clicked through though, but you can see that he opened it at various times of the day over a 2 day period.

A. If someone opens multiple times, I'd hope they are only counted once in the total opens, but who knows ?

B. This guy who opened 9 times had a .de email address, but according to my web logs (StatCounter), no visitors from Germany during that period. i.e. 9 opens - 0 clicks.
Suspicious ?
- of the behaviour
- of the MailChimp stats
- of the StatCounter log

Statistics :roll:
** Richard
Windy

Post by Windy »

To be pedantic, its actually 26.8% of the total that were delivered, not of those that were opened.
No, it was 26.8% of the total unique opens. Of the 370 people who opened it 99 clicked. It would have been 11.7% of the total that were delivered.

And so far the result of my March Madness email is one existing booking who has requested the discount retrospectively. I have given it to them as they are a multiple repeat customer and they are very happy, but so far I am £50 down :cry: :cry: :cry:

I need to find a way to filter out existing bookings from special offers don't I?!!!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I stand corrected on the 26.8% :oops:
Windy wrote:I need to find a way to filter out existing bookings from special offers don't I?!!!

Select "All completed and closed bookings" and if want, add to "All unconverted enquiries" :wink:
** Richard
Windy

Post by Windy »

LOL - no I meant in Mailchimp!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

The beast lives!

I finally wrestled the chimp to the ground, but didn't find the building process as straightforward as the more adept chimpers here obviously did. Maybe I'm Dim Jim, or maybe I chose the wrong template, but I found it impossible to change photos once I'd uploaded them onto my template or to tamper with background colours. Also, about 20% of my uploaded email addresses were rejected with 'syntax' problems but, after much careful scrutiny, I still can't figure out how they differ from those that were acceptable? Still, that aside, the beast is looking pleasing when all the bells and whistles are on display (but a bit dorky in plain text).

Thanks to those who recommended Mailchimp. I doubt that I would have discovered it on my own.

Jim
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Maybe an appropriate time to BUMP this thread?

Tied in with the recent thread on repeat booking, I scheduled my 'Happy New Year' newsletter to go out at 10:30 today, and had a booking request from a 2011 guest within the hour! :)

If only the same week hadn't been requested by someone else on the 'phone last night! :roll:

Anyhow for any new LMHs, or anyone who's never used Mailchimp to send out newsletters to previous guests, this thread is worth a read.
Open for business.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

DaveN wrote:If only the same week hadn't been requested by someone else on the 'phone last night! :roll:
:lol: I was excited until I came to that bit Dave - typical, wot?!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Well it all worked out. I offered alternative weeks, and Mr Guest has requested one of those :D
Open for business.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Aw, I feel better now, and good ole MailChimp!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks for the reminder, just did my annual newsletter - 2 enquiries already:)