Creating a Facebook page for your business Part 1 2012

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

marsh frog wrote:Yes, that happens - it will be there in the smaller message box on the right hand side - which is where most folk will look for new posts. It doesn't stay on the main part of the page - a bit like if someone posts to our own business pages, it gets sent to the messages on the right of the page, but everyone can still see them and will be able to see your post there - might just be worth you checking it is there though 8) They get a lot of posts so it can move down quite quickly on HTL
No, that's where I was looking, so I'm really mystified. I can see all the posts that were there before me and now those that have posted subsequently. I've posted from my profile instead, but personally I don't like mixing my personal profile with business!

NC - You can always start another thread? Things have changed and then you can ask specific questions. I'm sure there will be lots of new or prospective page owners that will enjoy a fresh FB thread!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Normandy Cow wrote: Marsh Frog - yours looks amazing! Do you add to it every day? Do you live close by? I can't see how I could get people to "talk about" my site, nor how I could keep it up to date, seeing as I don't even live in the same country! :cry:
I don't think it matters to not live nearby! You still have photos that you could schedule and use websites with relevant info perhaps? Perhaps the bigger problem would be finding things in English rather than French, assuming you want an English version?

I only visit my property every few months, and don't have a vast photo library to call upon, but it's amazing once you find relevant business pages, how much suitable "fodder" can be provided by others. I like local photographers, nearby restaurants, historic houses, the local newspaper etc, so they appear in my news feed which I then "share".
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

liked by me too.
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

NC your page is looking good - have just added a like to it :)

We live about 1.5 hours away from ours and although we don't do our own changeovers we stll do like to pop down when we can to check everything is ok,do a little bit of maintenance etc. etc.

If we happen to go down when the sun is shining even better! I then always go to the beach to take new photos, take photos of the view from the back of the cottage and also try to pop into the nearest little town 3 miles away - this town is a tourist attraction in its own right - and quite rightly so, so I take a lot of photos there too - all good to have to add to the FB page.

I do add to it every day - some days are hectic, like yesterday when I barely got a second to spare, but still popped in and posted one of my blog posts - nice & quick, written a little while ago but not been on the FB page for a while.The other postings were 'shared' from local tourist attractions.

Nemo, I don't know what happened to your post - I have never had that problem. I can only suggest keep trying, as I have had a good few likes from HTL and they all do help so much and get seen by others.Several of the business page owners from HTL are the ones that have booked a stay. I like their page and tag our page, they return the favour, have a look around our page and decide they need a holiday!

It works and its free. So, for anyone who missed it - try Hike Those Holidays and Hike Those Likes on Facebook. You like the pages that list,leave a message saying how you found them [tagging the page you found them on - eg. @Hike Those Likes] and then hopefully they will visit your page and do the same - then their friends get to see your page in their news feed - a bit like a snowball effect :)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well I did some networking on Hike Those Likes yesterday and have had a great result so far. It is masses of work and took ages; liking a page, tagging it, then going back to the HTLike page to click on the next page.

I also see that some people get upset if you don't follow FB etiquette. I suspect that is more because people like me don't know exactly what they're doing to start with! Do like from your personal profile; that's the point of upping their likes. Some people send private messages, others tag saying please like my page back and apparently that is frowned on by some! Personally I have no problem with reciprocal liking - after all that's why you're there!

I may just regret having so many pages in my news feed, I won't see my friends posts at this rate! I may therefore start hiding some pages, but I will have done my bit by adding a like, so I won't feel bad!

Thanks marsh frog for the tip off. I'm sure I won't get to your level; I certainly don't have anything like as many lovely photos as you do for starters, but I'll keep plodding away!
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

You'll be surprised how it does help Nemo :)

I have now learnt to only like pages I am genuinely interested in [I started off by liking everything!] but as you say it can clog up your news feed so now I pick and choose a bit more. Original pages I am not really interested in I tend to hide as you say

I did some Hike Those Likes this morning - first time for a while actually. So far I have had 10 new likes and out of those 10 have had 2 make enquiries which I don't think is bad.Like everything else, enquiries dont always turn into bookings but do so at about the same rate as HL for us.

Once you have built up to several hundred likes [yes, I know it seems impossible, but that is how I felt too :wink: ] it is surprising the number of enquiries that can result.

Keep plugging away and add photos,links,blog posts etc - it all helps! We also photograph comments from the guest book in the cottage and post these as well. It all helps build up a good business page.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Just hovering at 199 likes, up from 120 odd when I started yesterday! I don't know how to post links, photos etc into comments which I've seen quite a few people do - or is that bad etiquette I wonder?

Several have expressed interest in the properties, but I don't expect any bookings as yet. I just want to build the likes up first.

The interesting thing is that you never know who will be interested in your property. As I like the pages, I do evaluate where they live, so I didn't bother with ones abroad, but a designer or some computer page may have no interest for me, but that doesn't necessarily work the other way!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

PS to everyone? As this thread has now reached 30 pages, what do you say to starting afresh with a part 2 version? I know they do this on another forum when threads become too long otherwise.
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

Perhaps someone can write a summary of how to do it right :wink:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

That's sort of where we started but FB move the goal posts all the time, so we are constantly evolving!
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

That's pretty good going then Nemo :D

It might be a idea to start a new thread as you suggest - :wink:

As for posting photos, links etc, I have never done that on anyone elses business page, but do it all the time on the promotional pages like Hike Those Holidays/Hike Those Likes. I usually post one of our best photos or sometimes a direct link to our website or our HL advert. It is surprising in the stats how many people click through to our HL ad for example via our FB page :D

Another business page on FB that helps promote coastal businesses [not just accommodation and nor just UK though] is Coast Radar. They like people to post photos of their local beaches etc and don't mind direct links to your own page or website etc.
delilah

re: facebook page

Post by delilah »

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has kindly liked my FB page, and especially to marshfrog for her one to one help, and to Charles for same....I just received my first booking purely through Facebook! ridiculously chuffed! Hilary
whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't....you're right
www.anchoragemewsmersea.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/AnchorageMewsHo ... age?ref=hl
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

Hooray,hooray,hooray!! Well done!

We had yet another Facebook booking ourselves yesterday too.

Hope yours is the first of many xx
tavi

Post by tavi »

thanks from me too, to all of you for liking mine.

I still need two more!!!!!!! to be able to see my stats.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cabanas-d ... 035?ref=hl
booboo

Post by booboo »

I just liked you twice :D