Problems with French Guests & Bank Transfers to UK Banks

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
croatian_villa

Problems with French Guests & Bank Transfers to UK Banks

Post by croatian_villa »

Hi All

Has anyone taken Bank Transfers from French Guests. I seem to only have this issue with French guests paying bank transfers to a UK Bank Account. I am losing approximately £15-20 on each bank transfer by the time the money reaches our UK account.

Does anyone know if French Banks are taking this as commission for bank transfers across to the U.K. This is frustrating as this is also a double hit as we take 2 bank transfers so will be hit twice with commission loss.

How do you manage this? Do you specify that clients will pay for half or a proportion of bank fees for the transfer?

I dont have this issue for UK or Nordic clients so wondering if France is different.

All the best
C
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We specify in our T&Cs that all bank charges/fees are the responsibility of the guest. We ask for cleared funds in our account for the full rental in UK£. If any fees appear on our account we deduct them from the security deposit. Never had a problem with guests over this as we are completely up front about it from the very start.
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

I believe the system is that the bank asks their client if they want to pay all the fees or not. If they pay the fees you get your full payment. If not, then you pay a fee.

The international bank transfer route was all too much hassle for us - you also lose on the exchange - so much prefer to accept PayPal from non-UK based renters (especially now we get the lower HL commission charge).
Moira

Post by Moira »

We've had a similar problem with Bank transfers from Canada. My bank has told me that the funds are not transferred directly from their bank to ours but go through an Intermediary bank who then take a charge, usually about £10. Now that I know about it I explain it to the guest that this is an additional charge that they will incurr. Not sure if its a similar situation with transfers from France.
croatian_villa

Post by croatian_villa »

Thank you. I will update my T&C's accordingly so that guests are advised they will incur these charges.
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

We do the same as kyreniangirl :)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....