Some feedback on my web site please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
ianh100

Some feedback on my web site please

Post by ianh100 »

Hi All,

This web site has been a fantastic resource, I just wish I had found it sooner.

We only bought our property last June and advertised with HL, we were very pleased with all the enquiries we got (other than all the time wasters expecting to get the place for £50 a night in August).

We have realised that being reliant on HL or any single source is not a good plan so I have started on creating our own web site. I have used Serif X5 to create it, the software is OK but there are many things I can't seem to get it to do.

I have realised I need to take some better photos so will work on that when back at the property.

The site is not yet finished but I would really appreciate some feedback on the style and anything obvious that I am doing wrong.

Really appreciate your time.

Regards
Ian

www.meadow-view-barn.co.uk
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Pretty good Ian. Still a few obvious rough edges, so here are a random selection of comments:

Most important thing with any such website is what we call "CTA" Call To Action. Imagine the website visitor who thinks: I like what I see, how do I book ? You don't have an answer and when you do make sure its mega-easy to find and follow.

Try to be a bit more consistent with picture sizes. Looks much better if they are lined up at the same Width.
Similarly all with borders or all without.

The things to do page is a great part of the website. Could do with more pictures, but why does the typeface change half way down?

And on the Availability page, that long link looks ugly, sends the visitor off to another website, where you're helping them find alternatives to you. If you dig around on the HolidayLettings website, you'll find some code that you can copy/paste and it will actually present the HL calendar inside your page with sending the visitor away.

That's enough to be going on with. No major surgery needed, just a bit more of the same.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Thanks Richard,

Really apprecite the feedback. I am learning my way around Serif but it is not quite as drag and drop as I hoped. Some things that should be easy are not. The small images on the front page should be buttons to make the main image change but I can't work out how to do that yet. I don't like the Serif gallery options, I am trying to avoid Flash as I know it does not work on ipad.

Thanks for the pointers.

On the availability front I am aware of the HL calendar, their FAQ said I had to email hem to get the specifc code, which I did on Monday but not had it back so far.

I am torn on what to do on the "things to do pages" I have lots more to add and some nice images. I may split that to a few pages that are age or activity specific.

Eventually I would like to have my own booking facility so that I am not tied to HL. Your suggestion of at least button rather than URL is so obvious, doh!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It's a good start. One typo for dinning instead of dining.

I would split the things to do page into sub pages. The sub pages on my google site are awful, which is why I haven't, but I think most of us can come up with a multitude of things in our areas, so always good to break down if you can.

I don't like going off to another site for availability and prices, so the very minimum you should have is an embedded calendar, prices and your contact details.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Great site - well done!

My comments are really nitpicking!!

On your "cottage" page the para headed "relax" should perhaps say "relaxing" to be consistent with the other headings - dining, etc..

The second para under "relax". All three sentences begin with "there is..." maybe you could play around a little with these so they read a little more smoothly.

Good luck!

Tavi.
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

I would echo what the others have siad. Really good site, clean and easy to follow. Your really need a booking tab (i would put availability and possibly directions all in together with this). I really don't like the availability going to an off-site page. I tend not to click on off-site links. Other than those 2 points all looks good.
Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne »

Hi Ian

My comments to be taken as constructive

Show Phone Number and include the (0) for dummies and E Mail Info@...............

Your text is littered with 'there is' and 'there are' which seems excessive especially the cottage page Relax text

Cottage page Image 1 is hard up against the text

Add a - Contact Us tab

Directions - Add the address and postcode

Things to do - Para 3 the last line is missing ?

Finally - Terms & Conditions are a MUST

Hope this helps to what is a nice site. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint

:P
People in Stone Houses should not throw Glass

French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Echoing what others have said - a really good start (and a nice looking property too!). You've done a much better job with Serif than friends of mine have done :lol:

A little nitpick: I too would like to see the images more consistent with each other; on the 'cottage' page the padding is inconsistent too, with zero padding around the image related to teh 'eating' section.

Definitely need a call to action; plus from the site as it stands at the moment I don't know how to book. T and C essential, plus maybe a booking form?

I know it's early days but you could do so much more with 'Things to do'. I notice that quite a lot of your things to do are quite a way from the property - I'd want to know much more about the immediate locality. For example, I know (because I once lived not far away!) that there's some lovely walking in your area - and I'd guess that quite a lot of your potential guests are going to be interested in that. Add in some good places to eat and shop, some info about wildlife, birding and so on and you're beginning to entice me! It's a good idea to split this into sub pages - for example, one covering the immediate locality, one covering the area farther afield, another for walking, another for eating ..... and so on.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Thank you all so much for the time and effort you have taken to reply, we are all busy and have our own properties to work on, I really appreciate the feedback.

No need to be as polite as you have been I am not suggesting the site is anything like presentable.

I think the point about things to do locally is something I really missed, as suggested they are all a long way away. The local area is great which is why we bought the place. I really need to work on some external pictures that do it justice.
I think I may write up the very local, walkable attractions and put links to the more popular local attractions.

Thanks again all!
pizza-salsa

Post by pizza-salsa »

seems like a very good website to me, nice easy to navigate menus, good pictures and enough information if I wanted to book a place in that area. Looks very welcoming. I agree that when clicking availability and booking, you should not be taken onto another site, people (like me...) might wonder off and search other properties on HL. Hope this helps.
lorca

Post by lorca »

As others have said - nice and clean and easy to navigate. Personally I feel some of the photos could be a bit more inviting (a bowl of fruit, some flowers in the garden, the dining table set for dinner....) - but that´s just me. A bit more colour in the photos would also give a lift to the grey-green background
If not now, when?