Twin beds into a double?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Squizemma

Twin beds into a double?

Post by Squizemma »

Would massively appreciate some advice on a decision my partner and I are having trouble agreeing on! We need at least one room which offers twin accommodation (2 x 3ft single beds), but would like the option of converting these into a sturdy 'believable' kingsize bed when the need arises. We know of the option of zip and lock mattresses-it is the bed bases themselves which pose the problem. A divan base is the most obvious choice, and is our back-up option. However, we are a seaside guesthouse trying to create a sense of space and fresh modernity and feel that heavy bed bases (especially those with a valence!) will contradict the rest of the furnishings. I ideally would like wooden beds on legs, (possibly with a large wall mounted headboard to accommodate either twin or kingsize beds) but then we have the problem of a large gap running down the length of the mattresses. Any suggestions please as to how we can realistically offer both options without the use of divans? Many many thanks!
tchn

Post by tchn »

I looked into this a lot!

We bought divans zip and link through Beds2u.com, and they look quite fresh - see example (ok you can't see the base brilliantly) in http://sallyscottages.co.uk/node/725/photos

You can get platform beds (half divan, half legs) from Mattisons Contract Beds

The only frame or wood solution I could find was this, and I avoided due to price, but you may consider it worth it: http://www.tauruspinebeds.co.uk/zipandlink.php

Whichever you choose, I really recommend the Beds2u.com Best mattresses. They are excellent quality, and unbelievable at the price.

By the way, 2 x 3ft = Superking

Tom
tchn

Post by tchn »

I should have added that I dislike valences, and hence chose the 'Luxury Bed Base' as the covering looked good on its own. They don't seem to offer that anymore, but perhaps it has changed name. Give them a call they are very helpful. (Beds2u.com)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Try Mattisons. Very good value for made to measure products effectively. However I don't know if they have quite what you want. I do have shallow bed bases with chrome legs, that could be pushed together, but I don't know about the zip link option. Mine are Mattisons.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

You don't need ziplink.
We have platform beds on wooden legs with a 3 inch thick mattress topper. You cannot feel the rift and the weight keeps them in place.

For the moment I also have two single mattress toppers (2 inch) on the bed and then the double size topper because of storage problems, but I am thinking I might keep it like that.
My beds are quite firm, and this way people can choose how soft or firm they want the feel, and also a couple can have different firmness even if the beds are put together (gives a slight difference in height, but at least they will have the option)

You can see what it looks like on my ad: http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p2003391

FYI: My ad will expire on February 2nd, and I might wait a while before renewing it.
Pessimists only get positive surprises.