To install Pool heating or not?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
brendan

Post by brendan »

I´m very interested in this thread as I´m considering installing a heat exchange pump to heat the pool. I´m going to take a look at a working model later this morning.

I have some questions which might sound a bit stupid but I really don´t know anything about this subject so any help would be most welcome.

I´m in the south of Spain. The average daytime temps are about 19 and nighttime is probably around 8.

What I´m thinking of doing is installing the pump and running it from October through April (approx). When there are guests in residence the pool cover would be removed from 10.00h to 15.00h.

Do you think that the water temp would be good enough in the colder winter months?

Which is the best type of pool cover (budget of around 1000 euros)? I´d like one that can be removed completely during the warmer months - with no sticky up metal bits left behind which could be hazardous.

I don´t know whether to charge a premium for use of the pool (say 75 euros pw) or just build it in to the rental. I´m more inclined towards the latter to avoid complaints when guests pay the premium and the water temp isn´t good enough for them.

How long do you run both pumps everyday during the cold months?

Is the pool maintenance routine the same as for summer time?

What are the running costs - my pool is in ground, 8x 4, 50 cubic metres?

Thank you all in advance. I´ll probably have more Qs later after I´ve seen it in action.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Hello Brendan

I have a 13KW heat pump that heats my pool which has a large perspex (greenhouse-type) structure over it. It struggles to keep the water warm enough in October (I aim for 28°, but it's often at 26°) - you have to leave it running 24 hours a day and keep an isotherm cover over the water when people are not swimming. This year at October half-term some guests went swimming late in the evening and left the isotherm cover off overnight - the temperature dropped to 24° overnight and I never got it back up (not too stressful because it was at the end of the last week of the pool open).

I think that you would need to heat all winter - it is much harder to heat a pool up from a lower temperature than to maintain a set temperature. You should also note that most pool heat pumps automatically switch off when the air temperature falls below 4°C. It looks as though that wouldn't be an issue for you - but average temperatures are average! Is it possible for the temperature to drop a lot lower than that?

I think you're right about including the additional costs into rental, because you cannot guarantee the temperature - and having an add-on cost would make it easier for guests to be unhappy and reclaim.

I hope this helps.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Thank you for those comments, Caroline. Most useful.

I went to look at a working model and I was impressed. It seems that an average rule of thumb is that the water temp is raised to about 10 degrees above ambient temperature i.e. air temp 19 and pool water 29.

Does anyone have reliable running cost figures available?
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Brendan
Something like this for your sized pool 8x4.5x1.2?(40m3?) with a 8.5kw (output) heat pump running for 24hrs a day in Spain.

Heatpump (input) 1.7kw x 24 x 0.145€ kwh= 10.8€ per day

Plus the extra running cost of your pool pump
Extra running costs 1kw x 12(extra hours) x 0.145= 1.74€ per day

Im guessing only in the colder months you would need to run it for 24hrs.
I hope that helps
brendan

Post by brendan »

That helps a lot - thank you, Bassman
keithfenton
Location: property South west Corner of the dordogne St Meard de Gurcon. Me East Yorkshire

Post by keithfenton »

Would like the pool heated for this season 10m x 6m 115,000 litres
our electric is .053 day and .041 night have 3 phase .Thinking abt electric heat pump.
What temp of water is best for swimming ?
Have had abt 3 bubble type pool covers they dont last anyone got a better one. We have a security fence.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

What temp of water is best for swimming ?
I found most guest are happy with 28°C

Keith your pool seems very deep (1.91mtrs) are you sure its 115m3
keithfenton
Location: property South west Corner of the dordogne St Meard de Gurcon. Me East Yorkshire

Post by keithfenton »

Will check my calculations its 2.1m at deep end for 4.5m
then a slope then 2.8m flat shallow end at .95m plus roman end
semi circle 1m diam.

oops see I gave the wrong size its 12 + 1 x 6
now makes ave depth 1.6m
does that sound better
been quoted 15.6kw calorex heat pump 4000 euros plus installation
Brockles

Pool Heating Experience

Post by Brockles »

We have two rentals in one villa on the French Riviera. We rent either as individual units or both units together (which most renters have booked). The pool is 12.5 x 6 metres, and of the infinity type (difficult to cover). 2012 was our first rental year. Having heating was undoubtably an attraction for bookings - we had a 3 week booking from one couple provided we could guarantee 30 degrees. Fortunately their 3 weeks were in August, so it was possible to achieve this. All our reviews stated 'the pool' as the most liked feature.

It is expensive to run, but we decided to include it in the rates, as it is really difficult to estimate the costs exactly, particularly if the pool is shared between both units. I think the return is worth it if your rental rates are at the high end.

Regarding solar heating, we have spend several months in Cape Town (Jan - Mar) over the last few years. Solar is commonly provided, however our experience is that it falls well short of the effectiveness of regular powered heating units, eventhough most days are cloudless.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Brockles - what method do you use to heat your pool?