Wordpress Website looking for feedback

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
madmikefrog

Wordpress Website looking for feedback

Post by madmikefrog »

Hi everyone,

I would welcome feedback on my website, last May 2012 was my first formal bookings and this was done mainly with Holiday Letting and a few from my web site. My long term goal is to drive most of my busy through my web site.

I having fun with Google and working out my SEO and whilst aiming for local driven searches.

Many thanks in advance

Mike O'Connor

www.cuilcottage.co.uk
PLF

Post by PLF »

It's a nice site with pleasing layout in my view, I'm not sure what is going on with the whats happening page though (using firefox). There seems to be nothing happening but the layout has also gone a bit wonky, T's & C's are out of alignment with the More Cottage Details etc.

The line where you recommend your friend's cottage is also a bit short. I think I'd be tempted to have a dedicated links page to put that on as their site is very similar to yours. On a separate named page less people are likely to visit it (after all it's your place you are advertising and your location the visitor is interested in) but the link is still in place.

I was also a bit taken aback by the stone outbuilding photo until I found the text to say that is where I'd put my bike; I thought to start with you hadn't finished a renovation!!

I hope this doesn't sound to critical, you are going well at the moment so keep playing with it as bookings through your own site are the cheapest to get after repeats.

Mark
ilovedogs

Post by ilovedogs »

Took a quick look and have one suggestion:

Your Trip Advisor link, goes to Holiday Lettings, I know they are one company, but if you say it's TripAdvisor reviews, you should link to TripAdvisor URL, otherwise, say it's Holiday Lettings Reviews
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

Looks good to me. Nice clean site.

A few points. I like the pictures in a gallery to be all one size so that the 'next' key doesn't run away from you all the time. Your first picture hardly enlarges at all. I think you have a spelling error on the 'what to do' page above the picture of the canal. Would it be possible on the gallery page to link the text and the photos, it looks a bit disembodied when you have a list of descriptions before the photos. I presume the 'whats happening' page is in development as nothing is happening and the sentence structure is wrong.

i have to say that I don't understand the partial second menu at the bottom of each page. I would put T&C's in the booking page and leave the others where they belong in the main menu. I was left wondering if there was different info if I clicked on them. I would also streamline the 'badges' on page 1 and put them side by side like the photo's so that they are not lengthening the page with unused white space.

Overall looks great, just these few niggles IMO
Teckidecki

Post by Teckidecki »

Hi Mike,

You have a really nice cottage in a lovely part of Scotland but I fear you are not making the most of it on your website.

Think about it, if people are looking for a place to stay in your area then they are probably already very aware of the scenery of the area. What they are looking for now is a nice place to stay and that is what your website has to sell them. So..

your slideshow is all scenery shots, so place more shots of the interior rooms in the slideshow and also extend the number of pictures included in it.

the picture of the cottage on the main page is somewhat out of focus and is certainly not doing it any justice. Of all the pictures that you need to get right this is the one and it is vital that it is of the best quality possible.

interior shots are lacking ambience, rooms look just fine but are being portrayed in an uninviting way. So, take photos again and this time put the bedside lamps on (yes even in daytime), maybe some towels neatly placed on the beds (if you supply towels).

living room suffers worst from this problem. Put table lamps on, maybe fire in the fireplace, it makes all the difference in creating a welcoming environment.

kitchen, nice kitchen but the picture would be fine if you were trying to sell the kitchen, remember you are trying to sell the idea of someone staying in the kitchen and house, thats different. So maybe some fruit or bottle of wine and glasses on the table to make it softer and more inviting

lastly back to the main picture, if/when you retake the picture please put some flower pots in the pic like beside the door etc

Bottom line these are all really small things that you will see make all the difference.

Good luck with it all
Windy

Post by Windy »

It's all there and nicely laid out.

From an aesthetic point of view I think it would look better with some padding in the text areas. The text gets right up to edge with no white space. 5px of space wouldn't change much in terms of space needed but would make it much more easy on the eye.
madmikefrog

Thanks for reviewing my site

Post by madmikefrog »

Hi all,

Thank you for reviewing my site, the tips here have been very helpful.

Kind regards

Mike