Welcome/Information Folder

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Martha

Post by Martha »

"even in this day and age not everyone is comfortable with a computer"

- I agree, and whilst I consider an iPad to be very simple to use, you may be surprised how many people find them confusing if unused to them.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

I know what you mean with regards to people not knowing how to use a computer but then my idea would be mostly supplemental. I would have a hard copy of the manuals etc that come with the electronics, white goods and stoves in a convenient place as well. I also intend to have a book with pictures of the house, restoration, facilities etc. As others have said this is more difficult to update and so would only have things in it that do not change or go out of date.
Then you would also have important numbers etc in a hard copy

I was picturing a table with nice hamper on it, and appropriate number of champagne glasses. When you open the door the ipad would run a small movie presentation showing them where the champers is, telling them to dump their bags, relax and look 'here' for any further information they may have. Alternatively the ipad could be sitting there with a 'press here' button on the screen.

I just thought it would be a nice way to great people when you are not actually there in person so that they feel you are making an effort to look after them.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

No Pmagowan.
Please no movies. This is too much like big brother.

I know it would be very useful to have you demonstrate where to put the rubbish and how to put the heating on, and what to do in the event that the property floods or there's a fire, and you'd have great fun making it with clips from the Towering Inferno and the Titanic :-)
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

[quote="newtimber"]No Pmagowan.
Please no movies. This is too much like big brother.

/quote]

+1
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

e-richard wrote:If you're going to do an on-line information folder, make sure that the first chapter contains instructions on how to reboot the WiFi router :shock:
Unibond3 wrote:We create an online version that contains everything from places to go to instructions. It includes pictures and how to reboot the Wi-Fi.
I thought that my tongue was very obviously bursting out of my cheek :oops:

How can a guest read the online instructions on how to connect to the WiFi ????????????????????????????
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Marks

Post by Marks »

Pmagowan wrote:I was even thinking of rigging it up with the security system so that a message would automatically play the first time a guest arrived at the house. This would get over the 'not reading it' group. It could be a simple "welcome, hope you had a nice journey, here is where the fire extinguishers etc are, more info is on this computer"
Mrs M says this would freak her out and she would probably shut the door and leave........What next, CCTV cameras?
Pmagowan wrote:I was thinking of making some laminated sheets to put in fireplaces etc saying something like "there are instructions for lighting fire at xyz"
Well I guess you have to cater for the lowest common denominator but I think laminated instruction cards dotted about are a big no........

I have one sturdy ringbinder with a message on the cover that says 'Please read this as soon as possible. It contains pretty much everything you need to know. If it doesn't you can call or email me. Have a great stay."
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Marks[/quote]
Mrs M says this would freak her out and she would probably shut the door and leave........What next, CCTV cameras?quote]

We bought a 5euros dummy camera from Lidl, put a battery in it and installed it by the front door facing the road 10 years ago. We had some very disgruntled french guests asking why we were spying on them............we have to let everyone know now that its a dummy... battery is still working after 10 years!
funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Thanks for your input.

Now I need to get cracking on updating the info we've got.
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

Just catching up on old posts -
Not sure what folks mean by "online" guest info

Do you provide it on your webpage and direct the guest there prior to arrival?
Kate
USA
WayneR

Post by WayneR »

We have also used the wooden ones from here: https://www.smartuk.net/smart_menu_covers_inserts.html
I was told that pretty much all of these can be fitted with a ring binder or screw fix as well.

I try to include any offers and discounts from local places that I know of. Guests really respond well to them. If you get side pockets fitted in to your cover then they will fit perfectly in to these.

I find that it's also really helpful to send an email outlining some recommended places before the guests arrive so that they can plan these into their trip. We've had some really good feedback from this!