Duvet query?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
LeanneA

Duvet query?

Post by LeanneA »

I was watching an episode of "Four in a bed" last night, as I find some of the tips and comments are equally relevant to the holiday let business, as it is to the B&Bs featured in the programme.

One of the guests commented on the duvet in her room being "the cheap, tacky synthetic type, rather than the luxury feather variety" which she would obviously have preferred. I was very surprised at this, as in some of the research I have done into kitting out my let, I have seen several references to not using feather quilts or pillows due to allergy issues and the difficulty in cleaning them.

So I am curious, what members here use, as I am planning a shopping trip this weekend to get all my bedding!

Also, I have read a few suggestions of getting atleast a 13.5 tog, but personally at home, we never go higher than a 7.5 all year round, and don't have excessive heating on etc. Want guests to be comfortable, but it is so hard buying to cater for everyone's tastes and preferences. I am in the South West UK, where weather tends fto be fairly mild and only letting March to Oct, so not sure whether to go for a heavier duvet for the colder months and keep a lighter, maybe 7'ish tog in reserve for the summer, or just go for one heavy one all year round. Did think I could leave the heavier/lighter one packed up in the bottom of the wardrobe and if guests were too hot/cold, they would be welcome to swap over during their stay.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you :D
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

When we started out in 2011 I was going to get 2 different weight duvets too. We are lucky enough to have a local King of Cotton [they sell online too] and they sell to a lot of B&B's/hotels/self catering and are really good with advice. They told me most hospitality establishments use 10.5 tog all year round instead of 2 different togs. We are in the south east though - so obviously it would depend on the part of the country, but would imagine the south west would be fine with all year round 10.5 tog.

I would definitely avoid feathers - lfor all the reasons you gave :)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ditto marsh frog. 10.5 tog of good quality synthetic for all year round use. However it's good to check the weight; I bought one from Out of Eden that is simply too heavy and the weight drags it around the bed at night.

I've bought several from Dunelm Mill which I'm happy with.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I always have provided feather and down duvets and pillows but I keep a few good quality synthetic ones just in case of feather allergy requests. But then, I have down cushions in other parts of the house (they are a major irreplaceable part of two sofas) so I think I am not really suitable for those who can't manage to be near feathers as it would be quite a business changing everything, just for a week or a weekend.

I think feather and down duvets can't be beaten for the snuggle factor which you just don't get with synthetic ones. I have recently been considering in investing in pure down as I find when I go abroad to places like Austria and Germany they give you pure down and it feels so much more luxurious.

I use 13 tog ones but I am in the Cotswolds. You can always push them down if you are too hot. I provide a top sheet as an option.

The washing is not a problem as you don't have to get them dry cleaned now. They wash just as easily as the synthetic ones.
aasta

Post by aasta »

We invested in high quality pure down duvets and pillows(skandanavian)and they are great. Our guests frequently comment on them or ask where we purchased them.
We have non feather ones available for allergy suffers but so far these have only been requested by 3 out of over 600 guests so far.
aasta
Normandie

Re: Duvet query?

Post by Normandie »

Cornish Maid wrote:One of the guests commented on the duvet in her room being "the cheap, tacky synthetic type, rather than the luxury feather variety" which she would obviously have preferred.
I would think carefully before taking to heart the posturings of a FIAB owner / competitor - what they say on telly in order to justify marking down their fellow competitors is not necessarily good advice.

I think down vs good quality synthetic depends somewhat on what you offer, ie, your property - and what you charge. I have good quality synthetic duvets - the 4-season variety which clip together to give a max tog rating of 13.5. Guests have said how nice they feel. In sunny Normandy, the 4.5 tog is rarely too hot in summer.

I don't plan to offer feather and down or pure down because they'd be a nightmare to clean whereas synthetics can go to the local launderette after a coffee over the duvet incident. That costs me about 13 euros to wash and dry and I often do a mid-season wash anyway. I doubt I could do that with down. At between 60 and 70 euros per room per night, accidents on my synthetic duvets are affordable. If my property / location could justify prices of 100€+ per room per night, I might reconsider down.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Good quality synthetic, my husband is allergic to feather and down. I've been and bought fresh pillows before when old dusty ones were provided and he couldn't stop wheezing. If they have good quality cotton covers they'll be fine.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I think feather and down duvets can't be beaten for the snuggle factor which you just don't get with synthetic ones. I have recently been considering in investing in pure down as I find when I go abroad to places like Austria and Germany they give you pure down and it feels so much more luxurious.
totally agre with this...as a guest I just hate synthetic. I was swayed when I rented a place that offered them and I never looked back; got home and threw out my duvet :lol: Down gives that wonderful feeling of luxury and it's soooo light. Expensive though...so I would say it depends on your market.

As for allergies; these really are in the minority. I've rented for 9 years and always have anti-allergy pillows as an option and they've only been requested once.

By the way...if you wanted to cover all bases; my friend (with allergy but hates synthetic as they feel so heavy) bought a wool duvet. She's loving it! and unlike synthetic it allows the body to breath.

Mouse
x
p.s. mine is washed fine...no different than a synthetic. But it's easier in the tumble drier at the laundrette than line drying (which takes a while)
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

The other thing about down is - if you care about animal welfare - source your down / feather and down duvets carefully. Google live plucking goose down if you want to understand why the cheaper down products may be extremely costly for the birds.

John Lewis has a provenance policy.
http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-an ... n-products
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

yes that's a point Normandie...I got mine from The White Co. who have the same policy as John Lewis. Until a friend told me about some of the practices I had no idea.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

I don't know if you can find this type in the UK, but I bought light summer down duvets on sale from Jysk http://jysk.co.uk/4/31/39/ag/catalog/ last fall.

The goodness about these are that they have a special cotton cover that the producer claims make them ok to use for feather allergic persons.
The brand is Ajungilak, a Norweigan quality producer of sleeping bags.

They are lovely, and cost me only 50-60£ on sale for a single. When it gets colder I offer a blanket to put over the duvet.
Ajungilak also makes pillows with the same advantages, but personally I prefer to sleep on non-feather pillows so I provide both types.

As said, I don't know if Jysk carries these outside Scandinavia, but if they do, it is a way of solving the luxury - allergy problem.
Pessimists only get positive surprises.