Anyone else had their Holiday Lettings advert copied?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
sunny by nature

Anyone else had their Holiday Lettings advert copied?

Post by sunny by nature »

I'm gutted!
I took a quick look at the other properties advertised in the Edinburgh area today and out of 12 adverts, FOUR have copied large chunks of text from my own advert (ref 10073). :cry: :evil:
I spent so long trying to come up with wording that was attractive/witty/interesting and now 4 people have nicked it. To make matters worse, their listings come above mine so it looks like I am the saddo who has copied the advert.
I have often referred to this forum for advice, as we are quite new to letting our properties and it is superb to have a source of information which is so relevant to our situation.
This is my first post, since up to now I have always found some advice to make me look on the bright side of this sometimes frustrating business.
Any advice?
I'll now go away and cry in a corner .....
it's life Jim but not as we know it
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

How about complaining to HolidayLettings if that's were the ads are? They're very helpful and might have records about who did what to which ad and when.
Goat
sunny by nature

I've emailed the other advertisers and complained to Holiday Lettings. Guess now I just have to sit and wait - except I'm hopping mad and can't settle. Bring on the Prozac.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Welcome to LMH. How awful, I must check that no-one has done the same to mine!!!
Jo Tomkinson

Post by Jo Tomkinson »

It happened to me. It wasn't Holidaylettings, but their own personal website. Luckily the website designer had a small advert at the bottom of their page - oh boy, did I let him have it? He was actually very apologetic and said the owners gave him the text. I then tracked them down and they did change their text so it didn't resemble mine.

I was really cross because, like you, I had put so much work into it.

Hope you manage to get it sorted out. Hopefully the others will be shamefaced enough to change theirs.

Jo
sunny by nature

Two replies from advertisers so far - one which said that her english wasn't good and she was worried that her advert wouldn't look professional -sorry, but!?!
The second has emailed this reply
"I must apologise for using the wording for the locality/area description. It was certainly not done maliciously. I will change it tonight if possible. I must however say in my defence that:
1. It was general information about Edinburgh which surely by the time someone has done their research has already decided to come here and therefore the only description that is important is the property and pictures.
2. I very much doubt if most people spend a lot of time on the wording for that particular part of the advert. Again the only important parts are the specifics of the apartment. I'm sure most people plagiarise from other websites or tour guides for general data regarding Edinburgh and the locale."

I guess I can't rely on him being too shamefaced then!
A-two

Post by A-two »

Yes, your description is rather good, so I just borrowed a few phrases and replaced with my own place names.... :-) ....just kidding....

Seriously, this has been an ongoing problem for me as others in my area have jumped on the bandwagon, and not only what we call the Fizzbos (meaning FSBO= For Sale By Owner), also some of the professional Real Estate Agents who offer summer rentals. It started with a few key phrases, (I'm not going to type the exact phrases here because that will send Google to this site instead of mine!).

At first I was annoyed, same as you, but short of trademarking those phrases (and the professional agents do), there's nothing I could do about it, so I treated it as imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.

I didn't say anything to the copycats, mainly because I want people in my area with similar accomodation to mine to refer inquiries to me when their place is booked, which is what I do for them. This is a small town and those people are my neighbors, even though I may not know them, but I can appreciate that's not the same situation in a big city like Edinburgh.

However, when it got so far as to copy the name of my home in the title of their Listings as well, which is "Name-of-Town Beach House", that worried me, because we've been marketing under that name for several years and are fairly well known.

In fact, somewhere on this board, there is a post from me asking for help to rename my house to something that couldn't be copied. Lots of helpful suggestions, but in the end, we decided we had too much invested to let it go and carried on. It's now perhaps a year later, and interestingly, it's no longer a problem. They have dropped it, finding their own unique names instead.

Generally, I think the copycats are the newbies, and what comes with experience is the realization that you need to differentiate yourself from the competition, not look and sound the same as anyone else.

I still have a realted problem though. I've had to limit the information that I include on my personal website because I know I'm being tracked, especially my rates and what it includes. I know that some send me fake inquiries to get copies of my reply letters, terms and conditions. One even had the nerve to ask me for a sample lease.

I'm not saying that you are not perfectly within your rights to complain to the listing site about plagiarism, I'm just sharing my slightly different perspective on the situation.

So as far as the man who is copying the description of Edinburgh is concerned, he has already admitted plagiarism, so you can certainly ask him to change it, but I don't think the description of Edinbugh is what is enticing to them to your property rather than theirs, it's the description of the property itself.

However, I think what I'm saying is that this is only the tip of the iceberg and whilst you may stop it on this occasion, you're not going to stop it altogether.

The trick is to stay not one, but two steps ahead and that's the value of this site. People here are very generous and share their ideas. You'll find that you build a stockpile of new ideas that you can implement when the competition get too close. They will always be trailing behind, scratching their heads as to how you keep doing so well.

My 2 cents.
Last edited by A-two on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

This has reminded me of the email I received a couple of weeks ago from my friend mel, asking if i'd seen the site that our builder had put on the web. As he built the apartments he has every right to use the same name as me, but he has also renamed his other house Chalet de la Chamoissiere, and it's close by, but not adjacent by any means. I was already thinking of altering it, but to what? Appartement Chamoissiere? I'm not really sure I'll even bother. I assume he didn't mind me using the name, as I got an email from him telling me I needed to put my prices up. I don't think he'd realised they were in pounds (at the time).His property is much larger than mine, and is simply stunning. It's also very expensive to rent,and doesn't include linen and towels (350e per week for 8),daily cleaning (19.50€ per hour) . He is also offering breakfast at 10€ per person per day. However, I show up in the search engines, and there is no sign of him.
Last edited by Hells Bells on Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunny by nature

I wouldn't have been too worried about some phrases, but it was the whole area description that had been copied and pasted and also the whole city description - all 4 times.
That didn't leave much of the advert for our Edinburgh property untouched.
Still onwards and upwards - the lady who didn't speak good english has complained about me not being nice to her :?: when she is only trying to make an income, but at least she has altered her advert.
If anyone needs some choice text for a house in the Borders I've done a cracker of an advert for our seaside cottage :roll:
Last edited by sunny by nature on Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debk

Post by debk »

Sunny, I feel your pain. I do think the type of copying you describe could easily leave guests wondering where the copying began... and contrary to the second plagarizer's weak excuse, people put a lot of stock in *all* the descriptions. (I just had a guest arrive this week that told me she read through our site many, many times because she liked the "feeling" it gave her. Warts and all, people know what to expect after reading our site, which wouldn't be true if we were nabbing text right and left.)

And, to be truly snitty, if it's so easy, why don't they write their own text?? :twisted:

Last year, this happened to us in a very flagrant way but since the copied text/images are also on our (copyrighted) website it was easy to resolve: we contacted the listing sites and explained that, unfortunately, the listing site itself was in violation of our copyright by virtue of the owner/listing which had plagarized our text. Three listing sites, all three had the problem cleared within a week. It helps that listing sites work hard to fight plagarism themselves... so we approached it as a team effort.

It still continues to this day, of course, but we let the less shocking plagarisms slide.

Sometimes it's just funny: A new apartment in a totally different area of Lisbon copied a chunk of text including our "3 minutes from the Elevador da Lavra" (our neighborhood funicular). This phrase is in our text only so that people know we have a local hillside tram, NOT because the tram is on the Lisbon Must-See Checklist. I laugh every time I think of tourists searching their guidebooks to find more info on the elusive, but highly acclaimed, Elevador da Lavra... Imagine their disappointment to find this ancient ambulatory jewel is 20 minutes away from said apartment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you get everything cleared up to your satisfaction!
debk
sunny by nature

Just to update.
Joanna from Holiday Lettings contacted me today and couldn't have been nicer. I have every confidence that the matter will be resolved very quickly now.
She has also advised that Holiday Lettings have now implemented a plagiarism check on their systems, so that the problem is unlikely to arise again. So, good news all round.
Thanks for letting me sound off yesterday, it got me through a stressful day. I tried to work it off on my family first but hubby - bless him - is so laid back that he was incapable of building up to the correct level of indignancy.
enid

Post by enid »

but hubby - bless him - is so laid back that he was incapable of building up to the correct level of indignancy.
Sounds just like mine :D

Glad you got a positive response from them.