Business rates and refuse collection - what do you do?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
LeanneA

Business rates and refuse collection - what do you do?

Post by LeanneA »

Just looking into registering for business rates for my holiday let, and wondering how others deal with the refuse/recycling produced by theirs, as this is no longer included?

Looking on our Council website, they give lots of facilities where you can take recycling (cans, bottles, foil, cardboard etc), but nowhere that just takes the normal "non-recycleable" household waste. I am also assuming I would have to register as a commercial waste producer to be able to use them, and pay their fee?

The block where my flat is situated has its own recycling bins in the courtyard for residents to use, but as these are serviced by the Council, I assume any items my flat generates should not go in there - I will obviously have to make this clear to the guests staying :?

Then somewhere else on the Council site suggests that their registered waste carriers, who collect normal household refuse will pick up commercial waste on request - but nothing is mentioned about the charges for this - me thinks I am going to have to ring someone to ask as it makes confusing reading! :roll:

How do you get your general refuse collected?
onestep

Post by onestep »

viewtopic.php?t=18457&highlight=

Hope that works... I asked a similar question last year when we get started :)
LeanneA

Post by LeanneA »

Thanks for that, very helpful. I'll have to ring the local council and ask what their charges are. Might wait until the business rate valuation office comes out as they will probably be able to advise me anyway.

The Council website specifically says that if you register for business rates, they will check that alternative refuse disposal service is in place, so I was surprised to see replies in that post from owners who take the rubbish home and put out with their own household stuff. I would rather not take that chance and do it upfront and legal from the start. Even the local tips here are clearly marked "household" waste tips and are not supposed to take commercial waste, so that not an option unless I pay too.
Essar

Post by Essar »

If your holiday flats are in a block where permanent residents live how are the council going to know who puts what in the block bins?
How will you be able to convince your guests not to put their rubbish in the block bins, but save them up for you to dispose of?
If you use a private contractor to supply you a commercial waste bin for your guests, how will you stop other residents putting their rubbish in your bin when the communal bins are full, put a lock on it?

Your best option is to pay who ever collects the block bins a fee to include your "commercial waste".
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"