Leasing a chalet, year round.

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
DAVEYP13

Leasing a chalet, year round.

Post by DAVEYP13 »

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice regarding the possibility of leasing a chalet, to run on a catered basis for ski and summer months? Both my fiancée and I have worked several seasons in the northern alps, and though we cannot afford to buy we have enough money to potentially lease.

Any advice or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Dave.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Hi there,

I don't have much to offer except to say that it can be done, there are quite a few chalets I've known of that are run in this way, and though I am not sure that you'd make loads of profit, you could certainly get yourself up and running as a business.

I'd probably approach a few agents in the areas that you're considering and see what they have to suggest. Also sometimes people are happy to lease their (normally self-catered) chalet for a full year or a season, and we get approached fairly regularly with these requests, so they must get some success - probably worth trying (NB not us!)

I suppose the main thing is establishing yourselves as a business when you may not have that much time to get going. Far from impossible though. Good luck!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix