Paypal for non-users

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
KAB-Dennis

Paypal for non-users

Post by KAB-Dennis »

Does anyone know what happens when you send money to a person via PayPal if they are a non-user

How do they get at the money ?
Do they need to open an account and link it to a bank account ?

If that is the case........does anyone know if I send a US bank check in USD to a canadian guest can they cash/deposit it.

BACK STORY ......... I am trying to work with a guest who cancelled four days after sending here deposit but is outside of the refund dates and she had signed here rental agreement which stated this.

I fortunately was able to re-rent and she is whining so much about me being a private owner and how I should be more flexible and she hopes I can sleep at night blah blah blah .......

Cant even try to talk sense to these kinds of folks. So I just want to be done with her.
Kate
USA
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

From what I have read, the recipient of the Paypal transfer must sign up to claim the funds. If they do not do this within 30 days, the funds would be returned to you.

Can you not do a wire transfer? They would lose the fee for the transfer but that's the price of cancelling.

Another option may something like Western Union. There are others which have better rates but I forget their names. The recipient could simply collect the cash, minus your costs of course.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I would use xe-trade.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

I have a fairly steady base of Canadian guests and frequently return security deposits via US dollar cheques to them and have never encountered a problem.

Whilst PayPal can send an invoice to a non-account holder, my understanding (from previous transactions) is that you have to have an account to receive money if not issued as a refund.
" Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
tim441

Post by tim441 »

just a word of warning ... to make sure that the funds you have received are 100% cleared and cannot be snatched back.

I hear there are scammers out there that 'book' and 'pay' and then cancel getting you to refund... and then finding the original cheque does not clear!

Probably not your situation but i thought worth mentioning for others?
The classic, quintessential english country cottage
http://www.dorset-somerset-holiday-cottages.co.uk
tfv

Re: Paypal for non-users

Post by tfv »

Kathleen wrote:Does anyone know what happens when you send money to a person via PayPal if they are a non-user

How do they get at the money ?
Old posting, but no one answered, so for educational purposes, here goes.

Reply: The person (non-paypal user) will get an email prompting them to log in to PayPal to get the money. If they don’t have a PayPal account, they can sign up for a new account in minutes by following instructions included with the notification. Next, they can withdraw money sent using one of the options listed:

1. Spend the money online at thousands of stores that accept PayPal
2. Transfer it to their local bank account (takes 3-5 days)
3. Request a check (costs $1.50 and takes about 7 days)
4. If they have a PayPal debit card, they can use it to access the money sent.

Kathleen wrote:Do they need to open an account and link it to a bank account ?
Reply: yes, if they choose option 2.
Kathleen wrote:If that is the case........does anyone know if I send a US bank check in USD to a canadian guest can they cash/deposit it.
Reply: Yes. They can deposit it to their Canadian account, and their bank will convert your U.S. amount to whatever the bank's prevailing rate is. If they have a U.S. account (rare, but some Canadians have a separate U.S. account in Canada), then they can deposit your check in their U.S. account and the amount remains intact.
Essar

Post by Essar »

You send the money via PayPal to the recipients' email address; PayPal contacts them and they quickly set up a PayPal account which they link to either a bank account (or debit card) or a credit card. For verified account holders transferring the money to their bank acct or credit card will now take 2-hours and is free (usually immediately). For non-verified accounts it can take 3-5 days. Remember, that UK, USA & Canadian PayPal accounts can be verified by PayPal very quickly.

PayPal have changed the way they take funds from a bank account in the UK to pay for something your have bought or are refunding - if there's insufficient funds in your PP acct. They used to do this immediately by bank transfer, they now have changed to using Direct Debit and this can take up to 5-days to process. A detrimental step in my view.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

Thanks tfv

Always trying to get clear with the PP fees and processes
Thanks for replying to this older post
Kathleen
Kate
USA
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

Thanks tfv