Advice sought please: long caravan let?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Stu

Advice sought please: long caravan let?

Post by Stu »

Hi all,

just had a call & subsequent e-mail from a guy in the UK wanting to bring his caravan to France & pitch it here for up to 2 years! He says he's lost his licence & therefore his job in the UK. His partner's left him and he wants to get away fro up to 2 years.

I don't think the same rules apply to caravans as they do to gites throughout the winter months do they? (can't evict them etc.)

We're in a bit of a quandary about this one as there's just 'something' about this that doesn't quite feel right. He says he's willing to front up 6-months worth of cash for his stay and that he's quite well-off, just needs to get away from the UK for a while.

Dunno quite what to do about him really. Any advice?
levelsteps

Post by levelsteps »

It sounds a bit fishy! Of all the people in France why has he chosen you?

Why not a 365 day camp site? There are quite a few that are open all year.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Well, we're a 365 day/year campsite too. Though small, we're perfectly formed!

I have no idea why us. Why anybody? I'm just a bit cautious with stuff like this in case he turns out to be the guest from hell who's paid 6-months up front, has no transport to the nearest village (5kms), and ends up being a pain in the rear!
gh

Post by gh »

Could he have stayed with you in the past Stu? Should his tale be true, he may well want to leave uk and sort himself out. How can he be driving legally with no license to France or perhaps he has a companion.

Dunno what to make of it, like everthing else in the world, we are all so very different. I would check out the legalities of how to move him on if he is by himself without a driver should it come to that. hmm difficult this one.
levelsteps

Post by levelsteps »

Stu & Syb wrote:Well, we're a 365 day/year campsite too. Though small, we're perfectly formed
Sorry - I should have looked at your web page before jumping in with both feet.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

If he's lost his license and his job..how is he going to get the funds to pay you after the 6 months is up?

Sounds dodgy to me...you may end up unable to get rid of him if he's pitched on your site with your consent. I'd check out your rights as a landlord before accepting.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Poor man - but it seems odd to me that he is so definate he wants to stay in one place for 2 yrs. And, as others say, how can he drive if he has no licence? And how will he get to and from the village - by bike?
I'd try and find out a little more from him if you can.

Then I would have a think about replying with T&C's. i.e. if you want to accept, say you will but he would be subject to your T&C's and think of some that would allow you to get him off your property should he become troublesome.
Or - go for a 6mth trial. Then if you're both happy he pays for another 6 mths. That might suit both parties.

Mouse
x
A-two

Post by A-two »

I wouldn't touch this one, the risks are too high. He's looking for permanent accomodation in a trailer park. You're offering a high end vacation rental to happy holiday campers. It's not a good match. Without wishing to cast aspersions an him, for all you know, you are dealing with an alcoholic who lost his license and job and maybe family and friends as well thru drink, and is now about to bring his problem to France and attach himself to you like a limpet. No thanks, not me, but if you are still tempted, then please at least insist on meeting him first, also ask for references from his previous landlord, employer and bank, including names and contact details that you can phone.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Thanks all. Levelsteps...no worries.

We decided in the end that it just wasn't worth it for us. Bang on advice there from you all, Joanna especially, thanks Jo!

We're always tempted by the money through the winter times but in the end we have to keep our priorities right, and we want this place to be somewhere where folk come to relax and chill. Not to point at the amount of clutter around the strange person's caravan!

So, thanks again. It's great that we can get such good advice from each other when needed.