Faxes

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Vally

Faxes

Post by Vally »

Sorry this is only 50% a computer problem but I really need some advice.
One of the direct booking web sites I use for the hotel has just changed their system ( for a much better one) except that "by law" they cannot forward customers cc details via the internet..they are suggesting the best way is via a fax ( I wonder how mnany people are still using them??) I have a fax line and a fax but have had incoming calls to is disconnected as we were getting so many unsolicited faxes, now I do have a fax facility on the computer but I don't understand it... and I am on broadband so what nuimber would that come in on .
oh this is all toooooo technical for me I might just have my incomingn call put back oh :?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I have a fax line through Vonage, which is not listed anywhere, and I therefore get no spam faxes. I bought the fax machine (rather, I made sure the printer I bought had fax capability) because of our rental -- it's the most efficient way to get signed contracts back and forth.

I've never used the fax facility on the computer, but my understanding is that you'd hook up the fax line to the fax/modem port (phone jack) on the computer, and some software running in the background would receive the faxes for you. You would still receive the same number of unsolicited faxes, but you could just delete them without printing them out.
Brooke
Vally

Post by Vally »

Just cut myself off trying something out!! does that mean I would give my normal phone number ....???? does anyone out there have a fax that we could give it a try on??....please
alec

Faxes

Post by alec »

Normally fax to a direct broadband connection does not work,
To get a fax to the pc you need a specific telephone number from your telco.Got to do with the stuff in the telephone exchange.
This is normally done through the splitter, that is supplied by the telco.
This number can then be used for fax reception and sending
with little or no knowledge but just by following point and shoot instructions from such free bee programmes such as fax tools
normally enclosed with Printer etc
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I also used to suffer from a deluge of junk faxes until I registered at the FPS (fax preference service) which can bar all junk faxes to a private number.

It really works !

http://www.fpsonline.org.uk/fps/
Vally

Post by Vally »

I am registered with FPS but I am a business with a business line and although they should check the number before sending they are not obliged to
paolo

Post by paolo »

At efax.com you can sign up for free and they give you a fax number. When you get a fax it is delivered to your email inbox as an attachment. You click to open it and you can print so it comes out like a normal fax, or save it as a jpeg for safe storage.

Last time I looked you only pay to be able to send faxes, receiving them is free. Works very well for me.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Vally

Post by Vally »

Have just emailed them ...no area code for where I live !!
paolo

Post by paolo »

I have a UK number but now live in France - it doesn't make any difference though. The fax is sent to efax and forwarded by email to you. The number could be anything.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Vally

Post by Vally »

Oh I didn't realise that , so could I say, pick an Inverness area code ???