New To This - Help Needed!

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Forrest Gump

New To This - Help Needed!

Post by Forrest Gump »

My friend has recently built a property in Crete which he is now interested in renting out. He is not very literate with computers so I have decided to help him out!

What sites do you recommend that he can advertise with? Also, I know this forum section is for sites where visitors book directly through you, but what do you think of the sites that take bookings for you but a slice of the commission?

Thanks everyone :P
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It is a difficult one. I was very lucky in that I am only with one site and I get fully booked through that for the period I rent out the villa. Its owners direct and I'm very happy with them. They are also extremely reasonably priced. The only other I contempleted going with was holiday rentals as a friend was using them along with OD and was doing very well on bookings. However they are expensive and there was more competition (they had more 4bed properties).

I don't know if there are any specific 'greek' or 'crete' sites but try and find them in google. I didn't go with any 'ibiza specific' sites as they either didn't come up in the seaches I did or if they did they were quite expensive or wanted to take a commission. Costs were everything for me in my first 2 yrs!?

I know others on the forum have lots of experience with different sites, so I'm sure they'll give you plenty of feedback that should help you make a decision

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Forrest Gump

Post by Forrest Gump »

Thanks Mouse, I'll do a search for specific Crete listing sites - or Greek. Thanks.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Agreed, the best advice is usually to pretend you're a renter and want to find a property of your type. Do a search and see what you find.

More details can be found in this helpful sticky by Paolo:
Article: How to find the best listing sites to advertise on

I personally prefer the sites which take a set yearly fee rather than those which take a commission. That's mainly because the latter turns out to be far more expensive if the full season ends up booked, and since the former is all I need, why bother with anything else? However, that is just my opinion.

Cheers, and welcome to the forum!
Brooke