Any specific listing site for long lets?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
CostaBlanca

Any specific listing site for long lets?

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi,

I am looking after my neighbour´s villa who has moved to France!! A winter let would suit her nicely. Any recommendations?

Saludos,
Maria
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Maria,

I havent a specific site in mind for longlets .

But just be a bit wary with Long Lets especially in Spain as sometimes you have a real job getting people out. Especially the Spanish who know all the wrangles. :shock:

Someone near me had people staying for about a year paying no rent[and causing damage] before they could get them out.

The courts are very longwinded here and will always take the side of the Spanish who are going to be" made homeless etc."

Dont want to put you off just look into it carefully! :!:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ros,

I put lettings into three categories - holiday, short term and long term.

Holiday lets are those for a week or two. Short term lets are those for longer but for less than a year. Long term lets are those for a year or more.

French law does not give any rights of tenure or renewal to holiday or short term lets but does to long term lets. One might as well regard a long term let as being for three years (at the tenant’s discretion) and they are the ones to be very careful of.

With long term lets the courts may well be seen as favouring the tenant but they are in fact simply applying the law and protecting the tenant’s statutory rights.

I regularly have both holiday and short term lettings and have had no problems (so far). The tenants have always left on time and there has been no difference in the way they have treated my properties.

One has to be careful but isn’t that the case with all lettings?

Alan
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Alan

Im not sure if Long Term in Spain is as long as 3 years.

I think that if its 6 mths or more you could have trouble getting them to leave.

Im just advising caution as Ive heard quite a few stories from people whove had problems. :shock:

Im sure other people who are more knowledgeable than me will join in this discussion.[Thats about everybody in the universe] Lets hope so. :D

Thats the beauty of this site, I know Ive learnt a lot
from the forum. Lets hope it continues. :P
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Ros

you're absolutely right - the cut off point in Spain is 6mths, as you say you get in to a whole different ballgame then and Spanish law very much favours the tenant (to the point of unreasonableness some might say)

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Mouse,

My point is that the law gives a long term tenant an automatic right of renewal. I suspect in Spain under the terms of Arrienda de Vivienda the long term tenant has a statutory right of renewal up to a maximum of five years.

Alan
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes Alan you're correct - I think that having arrienda de temporada in your contract prevents most problems, but as always, getting good legal advice is the way to go.

Mouse
x
roxytoo

long let

Post by roxytoo »

I've always been advised to do contracts for up to 11 months in Spain as that is the cut off point?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I stand corrected!

The law must have changed since I last enquired about it long term lets.

Mouse
x
A-two

Post by A-two »

It's doesn't matter where you are in the world, or what rights they may or may not have, it can take 6 months or more to evict a tenant thru the courts, depending on their personal circumstances, children in local school, sick husband etc.

So it's really crucial to explain to potential tenants that there will be no renewals under any circumstances and to know exactly where they are going at the end of the tenancy before you let them in the door. And I think you'll find that very few have an answer that is sufficiently convincing to take the risk. "Moving into our own house that we are currently building" is one you might consider, but even that can be open ended.

In the meantime, you are selling vacation weeks for the week after they are supposed to leave, not sure whether you will actually have the house back or not and in what condition. Welcome to stress city.

For these reasons and many more, winter lets and vacation rentals are not a good mix, it's either/or.