Dishwasher damage

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
CostaBlanca

Dishwasher damage

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi,

My most recent arrivals phoned on Sun. to say that the programme diall for the dishwasher is not working properly. It looks as if it has been forced inwards. It looks ok from the front as I did not notice it on Saturday at changeover. However, when you attempt to turn the dial, it goes all wobbly and loose but with a little care the dial does turn and the machine seems to work OK. The current clients are happy enough and not too bothered if it takes a while for the technico to come and fix it.

2 questions,
Should I offer a small compensation to current clients for inconvenience?
Should I charge full cost of repair plus travel cost, might cost up to 100 Euros (displacement charges are likely to be higher that the repair costs) to last week´s clients who otherwise left the villa in excellent condition and asked about booking again for next year. I am disappointed that they did not mention the dishwasher problem - unlikely that the last person to use it (5 adults plus 3 children) would not have noticed it. They are the first set of guests who were hardly out of their cars on arrival day and proclaimed said that our property was fantastic. They hadn´t even seen the pool yet!

Saludos,

Maria
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I would not charge the last people as we have to accept wear and tear and we don't know exactly what happened. I would not offer compensation either as you are trying to solve the problem. That's my 5 cents worth :?

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Hi Maria
Just my opinion but I'd take a bottle of wine around to the current guests just to say thanks for bearing with the problem.

Last guests - hmmm, I think I'd just swallow the repair bill myself as you have no real way of proving the damage in retrospect. I'd weigh up the costs of charging them or losing repeat bookers who may be regulars. As I say, just what I'd do.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Hi Maria,
Sounds to me like a faulty part on the dishwasher, a weak design, or normal wear and tear. In my book, this does not fall into the category of damage done by anyone, so I certainly wouldn't mention it to the previous guests, unless it's to ask if they were inconvenienced by it, especially since they are good people who want to rebook.

So far as current guests, they are coping well with a very minor quirk that doesn't seem to be bothering them. What might bother them more is a Landlord fussing around when they would rather not be disturbed. Taking round any kind of gift is a very nice thought, but might be counterproductive unless you're seeing them again anyway for another reason.

My 2 cents.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Agree with Joanna.

We had a very similar problem last year, dial broke on dishwasher but it was still usable once you knew how to fiddle it. Ordered a replacement part from the local electrical shop, but did not charge the previous guests as it could have happened to anyone (let's face it, white goods are not built like they used to be and are liable to start falling apart very quickly, usually one month past the guarantee expiry date :evil: ).

And no, we didn't offer any compensation to the subsequent guests as it was not really a major inconvenience to them.

The only people inconvenienced were us, but hey ho, that's part and parcel of being a landlord!!! Just grit your teeth and keep smiling :D
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hey, that was quick.

Many thanks for your advice as usual. In the meantime, I have got a another call and would you believe it the washing machine is now making an almighty racket during the spin cycle. The current clients had used the machine yesterday but as they were not in the house at the time, they did not notice anything amiss as the machine completed a full cycle and spin. They suggested that the drum may the loose!!

Oh boy, oh boy! Lucky me that I have taken no further bookings after this weekend and much time needed for repairs and redecoration.

Maria
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We had a dishwasher with a dial, it was always breaking. The dial was replaced about four times in the 5 years it was under guarantee. I bought one with push buttons this time, and it works fine. The tumble dryer has the same dial as the dishwasher had and it hasn't broken once.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

The only problem weve had is with the washing machine door
The catch has been broken twice :(

Didnt charge anyone though,its just one of those things.