Swimming Pool Safety Fence/Alarm

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Babnik,
Maybe the law is clearer than my understanding of it, or maybe it is a mess!!
The simple answer is - It's a mess.

Not one of the four systems is a secure system.

An alarm is an active system but if you can't hear it, it's useless.

A fence or wall is a passive system. It’s easily breached but it doesn’t tell you, so it’s useless.

A rigid cover has to taken off if you want to use the pool. As soon as you take it off there is no security, so it’s useless.

An abri is in effect an indoor pool. If the entrance is breached it doesn’t tell you, so it’s useless.

You pays your money and you takes your pick – of four useless systems.

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

Thanks everyone - she's going with the hard cover option. It is a real mine field isn't it and I agree with Alan - I don't have confidence in any of them
paolo

Post by paolo »

It seems to me that a rigid cover is the best option, as long as you remember to close it when you are not watching over the pool. A child can climb a fence, out of mischief, curiosity, or whatever. He/she won't get under a rigid cover out of the same impulse. I'm waiting for a quote for a cover, I understand they are pretty expensive.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Mouse

child safety

Post by Mouse »

Our pool isn't fenced as such, but we do have the terrace on the villa walled and gated, also we have the dining area gated.
Its not foolproof (the dining area is) but we have attracted families because it makes them feel its easier to stop toddlers running to the pool unseen, particularly when they are dining outside - they feel at ease knowing they can't get to the pool.

Could that be an alternative for you? In our case it certainly does attract bookings - to the point of one potential client asking to be notified in the event of any cancellations we had.

Mouse
x
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

paolo wrote:It seems to me that a rigid cover is the best option, as long as you remember to close it when you are not watching over the pool...........I understand they are pretty expensive.
Probably, but only when it is closed. As soon as it is open there is no safety.

How many times a day are your prepared to open and close it? How many times a day will your guests be prepared to open and close it? If you have a stainless steel ladder you will have to remove it every time you close the cover. It's all great fun isn't it?

For your convenience and that of your guests, you will want a powered cover (with the controls in a secure place) and they are extremely expensive.

Alan
Kat

Post by Kat »

Does anyone know what the law is on personal liability when renting a property out. I will be doing this for a friend and am a bit worried that I could be caught for this in some way.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

We opted for a high tensile soft mesh fence (which is also removable by an adult) which I was told was compliant with French law. We also had an alarm provided with the pool which was really totally useless - you couldn't hear it from inside the Villa, it set of false alarms and in of it self was a trip and thus safety hazard - neadless to say we disposed of the alarm in the tip (couldn't get a refund for its value).

The fence works great and seems to be the expecation of most our guests. We also have the benefit of a fully fenced permiter so if our adult only guests decide to take the fence down then they can secure the permitre with a lockable gate - for the neighbours kids benefit. Our adult guests love this (seems to be the best of both worlds).
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com