Reply speed & Blackberry remote email

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Mario -

Nice looking phone. When my Blackberry dies, I might like to get one with a color screen to aid these ailing eyes.

Two thoughts:

1. If you intend to use the device for responding to emails, you really want a QWERTY keyboard. Typing from a numberpad isn't practical unless u wil b replyin 2 inkiries lik dis, k?

2. The writeup doesn't include a single word about email support. (Video calls, music, internet browsing, yes; email, no.) It's probably obvious, but you will need to ensure you have all the bits&pieces in place to send/receive emails, the specifics of which depend upon your email provider (e.g, gmail forwards nicely but hotmail doesn't forward at all; your ISP will vary), your carrier (Vodaphone, etc) and the phone itself.

Not sure if this helps? I'm a cellphone moron, which is why I went with the Blackberry.

Would love to know your final decision!
debk
mario

Post by mario »

No Qwerty keyboard is a big downer,what would you suggest to buy if you were changing yours.
debk

Post by debk »

I haven't researched anything as this one is still going strong, needing recharges only every 4-5 days, no matter how many times I drop it *crash* on the tile floor.

That's why I was hoping to piggyback on your findings. Some day I'll drop it one too many times... :roll:

(My husband's phone died this week and we need to replace one at the rentals so if I find anything interesting during that shopping spree, I will let you know.)
debk
mario

Post by mario »

Thanks,I will have a look around myself and on the mobile forums.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

We took the plunge and went for a Blackberry in March this year, and it has completely transformed our life. It is quite pricey, but for the convenience we feel it's definitely been worth it. It's not for everyone though, it does depend on your lifestyle. For us on the boat it has meant we can even take bookings when we're at anchor - no more having to go into a port and try and find an internet cafe! We did get stung when we were using it in Italy though. Also I have to say that if I was land-based and had access to adsl then it would be a luxury and I wouldn't have it. This winter when we move back in we will be taking a 'holiday' from it for 3 months, which Orange allow you to do.

The other thing I like is they are sturdy, no camera, no bits and bobs you dont need it does what it says on the tin...we have had Nokias & Motorolas etc and first the features start to go then a few days before the guarantee runs out the thing dies.

So I wouldn't be without it now!
Cheers
PC
mario

Post by mario »

Paul how much was it costing you to run as this seems the only drawback to having one,dont mind paying a decent price for it but if the monthly cost is high then that may put me off.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

It costs us €40 a month with Orange, and that also includes if you use it as a modem with your laptop, which is very useful for banking, sending attachments etc. We used to get an SMS 4 times a day to say if we had any emails (this was a service SFR used to offer but don't anymore), and if we were at anchor this meant two options: go into a port (which can often cost us upwards of €40 a night) and find an internet cafe, or use our mobile as a modem. We did this once in Elba and it cost us €60 to reply to a promising email - and then the person never booked!

So for us it's worth it, but you have to ask yourself do you need it?
Cheers
PC
debk

Post by debk »

they are sturdy, no camera, no bits and bobs you dont need
Excellent point!
debk