Please review my site

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Marvin

Please review my site

Post by Marvin »

Hi;
It has been suggested that I have my website reviewed on this forum. Our site was completely redone a little over a year ago and the results haven't been what I'd hoped.
Please review my site at www.rivertrailcountryvacations.com.
Thank you, Marvin
cedwardbrice

Post by cedwardbrice »

HI Marvin

The site is too focused on the "product". It lacks warmth as well (stark white background with little design elements deployed).

I think you need to market the lifestyle of your area more so people can get a sense of everyhting you have to offer...not just your rentals. Add some color and seek out a web designer to give you a more professional layout and navigation. This wont cost much and you can treat it as a consulation.

Goto Corbis.com or gettyimages.com and buy some photography...this is very cheap and can really add a lot of pop to your site.

Compare your competitors websites and identify a set of "best pracitices"...those features you think are really great and add your twist to them. Look at larger sites from the great resorts in the area and copy some design elments...they have large budgets to pay professional designers for layout and navigation and some deploy consumer reserach when building their sites.

The good news is your ahead of most people in that you have a website which i belive is amust have in todays comeptitve market.
Mi casa es su casa - My house is your house

Blog:http://vacation-home-rentals.blogspot.com/
marcus

Post by marcus »

When you say "the results haven't been what I'd hoped" i wonder if your hopes were unrealistic - people here with websites that successfully attract customers will usually have had them for a few years before that happened.

I would make the pictures bigger rather than thumbnails - that central picture of the house is very nice, but I think should dominate the front page more.

It's true the site does look a bit 'FrontPage', but I think the colours are essentially fine - the white will dominate less with larger pictures anyway.

Last comment - all those words you have put in your 'keyword' metatag. Probably a waste of time or even a negative effect to have so many - try and choose less and get them into the text instead. And move the 'title' and 'description' above the other metatags.

Don't give up on it yet, it's better than plenty I've seen!
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Hi cedwardbrice and Marcus;
Thank you for your response.
cedwardbrice: I have thought that our site is a little flat so I am toying with the idea of adding some color and have done some research on the subject.
I wonder how effective photos from other places would be. If I see some photos on a site I would like to be able to see the location where they were taken when I visit. Seems a little misleading to me.
I have a professional webmaster/designer who is supposed to help me with my site but he lacks a bit in imagination. I created the template for my site and all he does is place it on the 'net.
The problem I face with comparing competitors sites is that there are so few in our area, only 4 or 5 in 600 or so square miles. Generally their sites are worse than mine. There are no large resorts anywhere near us so that might be a difficulty.
What I create must be my own since I have very little to compare with.

Marcus: When I said that "the results haven't been what I'd hoped" I meant that our site was supposed to generate some bookings. We do generate between 20 and 40 visits to our site every day but we can't hold their interest more than a minute or 2 so there must be something wrong with the presentation or the product. Hopefully, with the aid of this review process, we can rectify that. We have had a website for going on 6 years now but have generated very few bookings from it. Most of our guests come from within a 500 mile radius by word of mouth.
The pictures are thumbnail size because I have heard that if surfers have to scroll to far they will lose interest and leave. All thumbnails can be brought up full size by clicking on them. By increasing the size of the pictures I would have to decrease the text and I don't know how to do this.
I am learning through this review process that our site is too complicated and since too few surfers take the time to study it very few of the less obvious options are being used.
I will take a look at our 'keyword' metatag and see where I can make changes. I know that many of them aren't being used to good advantage and they should be looked at.
I thank you for your comments. Without them I would have no basis for improvement and that is what it is all about. My grandparents were pioneers in our area and I am here because they wouldn't give up. Nor will I!!
Thank you both,
Marvin
redstar

Post by redstar »

I had a look at the site and I thought there was maybe too much information confronting the viewer on the first page, also, lots of small photos, may I suggest less small photos but a few larger ones depicting the wilderness aspect which is one of the main selling points. Just my 2 cents worth. Having said all that it looks like a great place.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Hi Redstar;
Thanks for the review and the compliment! It is a great place!
I guess the fact that there is so much information makes it difficult for visitors to read all the text. There is a note that if you click on the pictures they will enlarge. I am working on a new text for the index page, or maybe a new index page and change the present one to a cabin description page.
The new page will just offer an overview of the whole site and will have less text and larger (still clickable) pictures.
Thanks again. Your suggestion is much appreciated.
Marvin
www.rivertrailcountryvacations.com
redstar

Post by redstar »

Hi, Marvin

Glad you found the info helpful. I was an engineer in the copmuter industry here, however, those jobs are going elsewhere nowadays. So I went to night school and recently qualified in multimedia and web design. I have put a couple of small sites together. Some friends at work have reviewed them but its better I think to get views from a wider audience. Therein lies the problem, how to do that without appearing to be advertising, but at the same time trying to get a critical view and some tech feedback. Trouble is, everyone seems to have their own views about how a site " should look".
Ju

Post by Ju »

Marvin

I agree with most of the posts here, but would like to add a bit.

I Don't get the personal touch when I read your website. The first paragraph:
Tired of the same old vacation getaways? Need some privacy and time for yourself and family? Try us at River Trail Country Vacations.
Sounds a bit like an ad for a second hand car place. It isn't clear up front that you are an owner renting out a property.

A was also looking for a page dedicated to the house, but it isn't there. I would put less information on the front page, put just a couple of really good pictures, and then have a page that details the house. The interior photos should go on that page, and should be much bigger.

In the same way I would also have a page "about Saskatchewan" (or whatever the area is best known as) as you need to sell the location as well as the house.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ju
Topcat

rivertrail country vacations

Post by Topcat »

Plenty's been said, but I would just add that it would be better if the photos related more specifically to the activities.

Looks a grwat place, though.

Pauliner :lol:
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Marvin

Just looked at the website & agree with all the other comments
[your webdesigner sounds a bit lacking I would think imagination would have to be a key skill]
Maybe you should employ redstar :D

The one thing that i did find offputting is the bluish square that has the prices etc.
It was the first thing I saw.
I know you may want this to be prominent but i think I would have done it differently.
Looks a bit tacky.
Also you dont need to get into the smaller details of the prices.
Once youve sold the dream you can make them aware of the price structure and extra payments on another page[hopefully by then theyll love the place so much that they wont be an issue]

Whereas the rest of the site looks very classy[bigger photos a must,more of the house though]

From the ones on the top front page we get the fact that there are lovely views [wouldnt expect anything else from that part of the world] but dont need so many,so try to sell something else[especially the house]or something that might draw someone else into the place.

Having said all that I think the place looks great. :)

Also keep reading all the comments and info that is freely given on LMH I think its great advice that you couldnt buy and your so lucky that people with lots of experience in this field[not me Im afraid] is willing to share what they know. :lol:

It comes from all angles, people who rent out,people who design websites, people whove been in your situation and found out what works and is willing to share it for free!!!!

Long may it continue :lol:
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Hi to all who have offered advice;
Sorry it took so log to answer some of the posts but I haven't been notified of any new ones.

Ros:
Thank you for your comments and advice.
Maybe my idea of creativity doesn't agree with my webmasters but I think he is lacking and, you are right, it should be a key skill.
The prominent pricing was made necesary by the fact that I have had many calls about the cabin and when the callers were told the rates they didn't like them and declined renting. Most people can't be bothered to view our "Prices" page and ask all sorts of questions that are answered on our site.
If you have other suggestions on how it could be done more discreetly I would appreciate hearing them.
I'm still having trouble letting people know that the photos enlarge by clicking on them.
Our original "Index Page" was all about the cabin and there is a link to it in the text body at the top of the present "Index Page" under "Cabin Description". We do need a link in the menu. Again, there are many 'clickable' pictures on that page.
Is the site too complicated?
What do I need to do to educate site visitors and is it possible?
I agree wholeheartedly that sites such as these are a great educational tool.
I find that some of the reviews seem to be at odds with others but that is what makes it effective. (ie: one reviewer said too many scenery pix, another said not enough).

Pauliner;
Our activities page does have activities related photos and we are adding more as we get them. Did you check out that page?
Thanks for your comment and the compliment.

Ju;
I don't know if you saw our new "Index Page" but I tried to address these issues.
As I mentioned above, we do have a cabin description page but no link in the menu. That will be rectified.
I do have an article about our area on the "Articles' page but maybe we need a link to it. Very few people go far enough into the site to see all the information available.
Thanks for your review. You brought up a few things that I can use.

I'm not sure if I am even using our site properly. Very few people, including the reviewers, go more than 1 or 2 pages into our site. The pictures pages have many photos of the cabin and the area. The articles page is full of local information and some trivia. The FAQs page answers some basic questions and we will be adding more as relevant questions are asked. All in all. I think that our site answers almost every conceivable question if you look for it.
We have been getting hits on our site with the visitors looking at 10 or more pages. These people are truly interested. Maybe the rest are just "tire kickers" with no intention of buying.
Is our site too large?
Is it too hard to navigate?
How much information can you put on the first page without too much scrolling?
Are we in an area that isn't interesting or scenic enough?
How do you educate the masses about the possibilities of the area?
Opinions on any or all of these questions would be most welcome.
Anyone wanting to e-mail me privately can do so here : info@rivertrailcountryvacations.com
Thank to everyone.
Marvin