Air Con

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Joanna,

The AC units are not connected to a central system, take a look at the Panaonic link in one of my earlier messages but if they could be wired up on same electricity circuit (that is a big if) then 1 timer could be installed to control all units in an out of the way place. If the timers were on display, then the clients would just change them at will. Had a peek at the Window ACs - I am not sure why do they have to be window mounted?

Maria

PS. Fantastic weather here as well - still hot but as you say no need for additional coolness. We could do with more rain though.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Maria :D

Glad the weathers good at the moment ,
My Daughters out there staying in our house on she said it was great.

The forecast is good for Torrevieja all week according to the BBC :wink: :lol:
gh

Post by gh »

We have the plug in variety, which our caretaker connects when the guests pay. They are fantasic for cooling down the bedrooms, the temps this summer in our region got up to 42 that can be lowered down to 18 within 24 hrs for sleeping.

We advise the guests to do x y z in the heat of peak summer weeks or if they wish hire AC units for x per week, this past year most have taken the AC, we have paid for the electricity for the year on AC hire alone. Long live the weather stats which we link the guests too.
A-two

Post by A-two »

johnel wrote:We have the plug in variety, which our caretaker connects when the guests pay.
How does the caretaker stop the guests plugging it in themselves? Maybe you have a removeable lead? (Ours don't). How much extra do you charge? At our level, I don't think we can possibly do that, but always open to ideas.

Regarding the timer, I'll have to look into it for next season, no time now, but thinking we could set it up to switch off during the day, then at least it would shut off when they are out and about. They would always be able to change it to suit their preferences, so yes, a wreckless guest could override it 24/7 just to be difficult, but I don't think that's the problem.

The problem is more likely to be an inconsiderate guest who doesn't care, and leaves the house with the AC still running and a window open as well.

I'll be looking for a timer that will switch off twice a day unless it is overriden. Not looking to centralize the timer, individually in each bedroom is fine.

I'll check out your panasonic link, but regarding install in window vs. wall, you're going to leave a very big hole in the wall if you take it out over the winter!!!! Short of inventing a draught proof picture frame to hang over it (!), it's easier to put in the window because the glass is easy to replace. Takes about 30 minutes per unit to switch it over from plain glass to AC unit, or visa versa, but not something you would be able to manage every week if one guest ordered extra AC and the next didn't.

Our windows are sash windows, they sell different units for different styles of window. I think there are advances in wall units that may make that the better option if one is starting from scratch, but how do you disable them if someone opts out of paying for it as an extra? That's like supplying a hairdryer and telling them they can't plug it in, of course they will.
gh

Post by gh »

Joanna wrote:
johnel wrote:We have the plug in variety, which our caretaker connects when the guests pay.
How does the caretaker stop the guests plugging it in themselves? Maybe you have a removeable lead? (Ours don't).
When we converted the grenier, we installed the AC air outlets into the new internal walls, all neatly coverd with a removable disc and vented up to the roof. They are easy to connect when guests requests the hire off them.