Lost keys - should I replace locks?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Normandy Cow

Lost keys - should I replace locks?

Post by Normandy Cow »

Our current renters have just lost a set of keys during their trip to Rouen yesterday.

Given that the keys have no address on them and it is unlikely that anyone knows where the people are staying, I am not sure whether I ought to change the locks and deduct the cost of this from the security deposit, or just to get another set cut.

I would be grateful for other owners' points of view...

Thanks for any help/advice offered!

Catherine
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

Are you certain that they lost them or they were not maybe stolen and they are unaware of this or even that some other scam is taking place.

I have a suspicious mind and most tourist areas are full of those seeking any chance to gain at the expense of others. I speak from costly experience.

Also bear in mind all guests may not be as genuine as they seem. I had a couple of renters very recently who profess that the apartment was robbed whilst they were out on the last evening of there stay. They had not used the safe provided (free of charge) and left their money, documents and other valuables in the dresser.

They reported that on their return the bedroom window was open and their money and other valuables and credit cards stolen, yet amazingly not their passports or tickets and travel documents.

No damage was done to the apartment and there were no signs of a forced entry!

As I stated previously I am suspicious by nature and suspect an insurance claim is not to far away.

It would seem prudent, unless you are absolutely certain the keys cant be traced, to have the locks changed. Whether you deduct the costs from their deposit depends on if you feel these people are honest and genuine.

How would you feel having to explaining to your next guests if someone, maybe even your previous guests, were to return and gain entry using the **lost keys**

Pete
Last edited by PeeJay on Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, Catherine! Image

If I thought there was something dubious about the renters I might change the locks, and you may be able to charge them for this, depending on the rental agreement.

If I was confident they were honest and genuine, I woudn't change the locks. But I am at the relaxed end of the spectrum on these things.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

Post by tansy »

we look at it if you people were criminally minded they could easily get a set cut...if the keys haven't the address on I don't think you have too much problem...also we have only found courtesy and helpfulness in Normandy...of course there are the criminals out there but it is vastly different to mainland Spain and the Islands I'm afraid to say...Seville the only place we've ever been robbed - apart from Oxford Street when I was dipped (pick pocket).

I think your holiday makers are probably dreadfully upset if they are genuine - I'm sure you have their address etc. What are your instincts about them?

Good luck.
Darren

Post by Darren »

If I have my suspicious head on you could say that the renter has kept a copy of the key to enter the property in the future.

To be honest though it depends on your own opinion of the renter - if you have any suspicion or feel uncomfortable then change the locks.

It's best to be safe in my opinion.

Darren
janskov

Post by janskov »

Having a good imagination, I have two sets of locks that I change between every year.
That way someone would have to wait more than a year before the stolen key would work again.
murphy70118

lost keys

Post by murphy70118 »

We are so thankful that we have a keyless system so we dont have to worry about that. I would change the locks, I would rather be safe then sorry.

Wendy
www.rentourbeachhouse.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I agree, I would probably change the locks as well.

If I trusted the renters I would only ask that they split the cost of the lock change with me; they did lose it in the first place, so they ought to help pay some of the costs. But if I had any hint whatsoever that they were dodgy, I would just take the whole cost out of the deposit.
Brooke