Renting to CAF tenants

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mrs Beeton

Renting to CAF tenants

Post by Mrs Beeton »

Anyone else out there having problems renting (in France) to CAF tenants? These are tenants whose rent is paid by CAF - social services in France.
I have a tenant who is being a little awkward at the moment. The property is rented out as 'furnished' but he is asking to remove some of my furniture so that he can install his own, keeps turning up and dumping stuff at my house.
A list of other things but will not bore you all with this at present.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I inherited some of these people.

Problem is that the idea of tenants having rent paid direct by the CAF is temporary. They can change to paying (or not paying !) personally very easily.

And, as they normally have no assets, that means if they don't pay, then you get enormous problems.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen ! :(
gh

Post by gh »

We have similar experience with renting to low income families. It is very sad when people can't afford a place to live and rely on state handouts to offer a roof. Granted some of them its their own doing others........
We've had battered women with very young children, families where the mum has walked away and other occupants you would not want to know. Some have been excellent you would have welcomed them to your home others; absoulutley NO.

As ours is not in France and; do not fully understand French law on this, it seems that your 'tennants' is making his mark on your property and intends to stay a while. Do you get the rent direct from the CAF; or does your tennant pay you with CAF money. Would feel a little uneasy if your tennant was paying you.

We have several furnished properties which are paid by the DHSS to us direct, they are inspected by them prior to new tennants and at the end of the tennancy, any major damage is paid by DHSS. We pay a full time maintenance team working on our properties as tenancies here change frequently.

If this is what happens in France, you would have no problems.

I would not rent via CAF if this was the family holiday home, our DHSS properties are purely for income and property acquisition to be sold on.
Mrs Beaton think long and hard about this and check your rights with CAF.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Johnel

Your dealings with DHSS seem a bit better than mine.... :evil:
The people who stay generally are fine...but getting the money sorted is HORRENDOUS.... :twisted:

We had a family staying where theyre circumstances changed and they had to apply for DHSS it took 7 mths before I got a penny.......we had become sort of friends and I couldnt have thought about kicking them and theyre 2 children out...but 7 mths....
Im not one to sit back & I was at the office and phoning[got a direct line to the manager in the end after sitting in a queue for Hrs.]...
Didnt really help they were short staffed people were leaving apaolgies but it would be here soon....You have to wait for your turn....

On & On after waiting about 5 mths I said to him I would never have DHSS again not because of the people but the wait and he said
Oh were doing it in weeks Now[theyre not]
What ,I said
Im in this queue patiently[not] waiting for MONTHS to be next to be dealt with ,
and Your telling me that new ones are being dealt with in weeks[he thought Id be pleased]

Anyway it about 6mths they said they would guess at what amount I would get and send it to me...GUESS....and if it was too much theyd claim it back...I said if you were going to guess you could have guessed in the 1st month I want the proper amount.......

Wait for it.... when the money was eventually sorted they sent a chq for about £3000 directly to the claimant in her name.[even though they said it would come directly to me]

Luckily she cashed it and paid me our rent....but she could easily just done a runner with it....absolute idiots.... :shock: :evil: :twisted:
gh

Post by gh »

Thank goodness she was trustworthy and you got your money.
At the moment our local authority do send the money direct to the landlord, however, insider information is that they may change this next year and envisage the same problems you found. If they do we will sell them and look for new investment opportunities.

Will miss some of our good tennants who have fought hard to get back to where they were, which I truly admire, given the situation they were in, others..........

Can relate to your frustration with officialdom, we call it the 'snoma' syndrome as in ' it's not my job, s-no-ma job.

Hope Mrs B rental goes well and again, please check your rights. Sounds like mrrph has been there.
Mrs Beeton

renting to CAF tenants

Post by Mrs Beeton »

Hi Johnel and Roz thanks for your replies, it certainly seems to be similar here re. the admin problems. I signed to have the rent paid directly into my account and the tenant was installed for 2 months before I had even received the security deposit let alone rent. Then we found it was going to the tenant direct so had to claim it back from her although I had signed forms to say I wanted it paid to my account. Anyway it is sorted out now re. the money but it seems my tenant resents me getting paid the money and every month find something for me to renew, repair or replace for about the rental amount, and then threatening me with a visit from CAF. I know there is nothing wrong with my property and it was ready to rent out to holiday makers, Still it continues and we are awaiting another inevitable phone call asking for something to be shifted. We had one call at 11pm to say a light bulb had gone.
Thanks for all your concern it has helped me to tell someone really.