bartering on price

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
roxytoo

bartering on price

Post by roxytoo »

Hi everyone, this is my first post!

What is the opinion of potential guests who barter on the price? Have just had an answer to a email enquiry if I could to the whole thing £50 cheaper because 'they are on a budget'. Have actaully said no but am wondering what other people do! It was for a slot in June so I should rent it out but of course I may not!

On another note has this mail in

''i am price henry, i am 22 years old, and i just
graduated from
saint xaviers university in canada.i am back at home
in africa,
right now with my grand father who wants me to take
some time out
and go on a vacation, please mail me, about vacancy'

I suspect it is a scam and am following it through to pass it on the the relvvant authorites but just to warn others!

www.casadesuenos.co.uk
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi Meishka,

It could be a scam, but if he trying to get a disscount it does not add up. What is the last bit of his e-mail address? (ie yahoo.co.uk)
Cheers
PC
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

click on the following

http://ca.dir.yahoo.com/Reference/Libra ... Libraries/

No such uni in Canada..........
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Meishka,

I will sometimes negotiate a special price. In season only at short notice to fill a gap which is going begging. Otherwise my attitude to people on a budget is "go somewhere else which is cheaper". Out of season, when things are much quieter, I am prepared to negotiate terms but they still have to be realistic. I don't take bookings just for the sake of having them.

I suspect it is another West African scam but you might as well follow it up until you are sure. As far as I know Saint Xavier's University is in Chicago, USA. In Canada, I think the institution nearest to that description is the University of St. Francis, Xavier's College.

You should read the postings about scams elsewhere on the Forum and proceed with care. Insist on payment when it is due and only take payment for the actual amount due. I wouldn't take payment in Matabele Beans either - your bank is unlikely to recognise them.

Alan
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

sorry Paul didn't make myself clear, these are two separate issues! The email address of the scam is a yahoo one, he has now given me an email address of his grandfathers financial secretary, ending in outgun,com who apparently will sort out the monies, very interesting, we shall wait and see!

thanks Alan for your comments, think I did right after all!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Definitely sounds like a scam to me...

Like others I don't discount on-season weeks unless I know the week is not likely to be booked any other way. We had a customer our first season try to haggle the price way down -- in the end we gave a reasonable discount since they were out of season, but wouldn't go as low as they wanted.

They left the place pretty messy and gave us the only negative overall feedback we've ever gotten about the property -- mostly found ways to complain about the price of everything -- daily cleaning should have been included, meals too, etc... If they couldn't afford it or wanted a B&B, they should have booked somewhere else! They just weren't worth it as customers.
Brooke
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi Meishka,

outgun.com is used a lot by 419 scamers. I would say it's 100% scam, I would just walk away
Cheers
PC
tansy

Post by tansy »

I just had an enquiry for our very last week left 27th August - 3rd September - person emailed in said house looked Fab!! I replied in less that 1 hour...got an email back - how much is it...emailed the price as it is advertised....didn't hear anything so did a follow up after 3 days.

She replied oh leave it - it's too expensive.

So I emailed asking if she could help me -
OK – thank you – if I may ask you to help me – I’m in the process of reviewing our advertising and to gain an understanding...did you see the rental prices published when you sent the first enquiry?

Many thanks in anticipation for your help

Kind regards

this is what she said
Yes I did- but My week request was near a price change ,so I always like to check .For your information , the site is one of the best I have used and I have accessed a lot of sites in my search for a villa. The information they give is very good and easy to use.
I do find it interesting to find out what is going on inside peoples heads...so it was a complete waste of everyone's time..she hasn't asked for a discount! Incidentally she was talking about holiday-rentals.com