When do people usually book?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Ours are actually semi detached so most of the websites will take them as 1 item[if not Id go to a different website.

Initally I advertised them separately but mentioned that we can sleep 8-16 but now the main focus is the 6 bed sleep 16 as that is tha main selling point.

In fact I dont really like booking 1 of the houses as I know that might stop me renting the other out as most people come as a group 2 houses, 2 weeks .

I will pm you
Vally

Post by Vally »

Now that is an interesting thought, advertising them as one property, Mine are just a step apart and I do advertise a discount for taking both properties as a four , but I never thought of marketing to a 4, are yours linked inside in any way Ros?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Only by the owner????

No seriously they are 2 separate houses but semidetached.
Mostly I dentical so all the details are the same I will pm you
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ros,

I suppose, if you have two identical properties on an urbanisation you could save a bob or two by advertising them together. All the detail would be “ditto� but what about the availability calendars?

Fluffy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Alan

I actually list them as 2 x3 bedroomed houses next to each other

I dont do availabilty calendars[but might] as Im on a lot of different websites & wanted to see the response from each so I could judge which were getting seen[which I have]

If I did do availability It wouldnt be a problem as nearly all the weeks are in both so it would be ditto again

Of the weeks booked already next year there are 11weeks both houses together[making 22] & one odd week one house but her brother has asked for details and is letting me know this week so he might have next door.
Topcat

Bookings

Post by Topcat »

Have any of you considered using a rental company to manage your bookings? Unnecessary if you live on site, obviously, but for those of us who live in one country and rent out in another it's an option that I am considering.

Pauline
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Pauline :D

I did consider this initially but Im glad I didnt...

There are a few pitfalls....to consider...also the percentage they would take..

Ive heard stories about a few management companies renting out houses and saying that theyre empty....and pocketing the money.....a friend of mine was staying in a house in Florida nooked through a management co.
which she really liked and managed to find a home contact no in the house, when she got back she phoned the Chap up and said how lovely it was and could she book for next year

and he didnt know anything and was told the house had been empty & hadnt had any bookings!!!!

Of course there are reputable companies out there and Im sure someone might suggest one.

Also I suppose would take some of the hassle out....

But also they would control who was booked
and I do like to email and speak on the phone to the people who will be staying....then hopefully they feel more connected to you and the houses and are less likely to mistreat the place than if they were dealing with a company.....[in theory anyway]

I know Ive had a few whinges, but Ive rented out pretty consistently both houses for three years and only had a couple of problem guests so not a large percentage.... :wink: :D

Its all swings and doo dahs.....
Vally

Post by Vally »

I use agencies for letting , I thought it was a good way of getting noticed for the first few years , I built the extortionate costs into my business plan , and although I begrudge the commission its better tham having the cottages standing empty.
This year I have had a good proportion of returns and private bookings, so I am glad I went down that path, the directory web sites I have been using have reaped nothing in way of reservations as they only get me enquiries during desperation times when everyone else is booked and so far me too!
Its my winter trade I would like to raise and I am going to try harder this year to make the site more noticed .....don't quite no how yet????????
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I wonder if the market is different in the UK Vally? Is it possible that most punters still expect to find their (UK) holiday property through an agency or holiday company, rather than via private owners? A lot of people I know automatically go to one particular company with a glossy brochure, very well known, name escapes me. Maybe there are still fewer people with holiday homes here (UK) who think to market it themselves, and this is only slowly changing? What's your take on it - and Soo, are you reading this?
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Vally

Post by Vally »

I think there are major differences in letting between abroad and home, because we do not venture abroad I have never thought to look, but since joining in on here I realise that it is not at all the same type of trade
I use Mackays Agancy as it has a Scottish name I think it might be an automatic first search. I tried Dales country cottages but they were useless, perhaps because they market more to English villages. I also advertise on a directory site , but I don't like that much either, perhaps I am expecting too much, perhaps I should be satisfied with the short season , I am certainly making money over my expenses , which is more than can be said for the hotel during our fist 3 years here