Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Extra Features

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tansy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Extra Features Reply with quote

is it possible to add the following to the web site?

1. An online booking form?....or is that too complicated...or even the facilities to download a booking form.

2. A guest book

3. Availability ....or a link to the calendar I have already via VRBO.com
vrooje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tansy,

Online booking forms -- do you mean an enquiry form or a booking form?

Enquiry forms are typically very simple, especially if ipowerweb has a built-in formmail script that you can use.

Booking forms can range from reasonably simple to very complicated, if you want to get into processing credit cards and such.

Links to documents are the same as linking to anything else -- not difficult. I only make our booking contract available as a pdf document.

A link to your VRBO calendar would also be quite simple; a separate calendar could probably be very simple or very complex.

Hope that helps!
Christine Kenyon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tansy. It's fascinating to see your site taking shape.

Depending what you mean by a "visitor book", these can be very simple. We have a visitor book in the cottage and if someone leaves a good comment or one that is relevant to our target markets (excellent for walking; brill for families - that sort of thing), I contact them and ask if we can include their comments on our website.

Three "plus" points:

1. We can edit what goes into the visitor book - more difficult to do if you have an on-line facility and have to explain to someone that actually you don't want to include their comments! I've also seen a number of on-line visitor books that have only one comment or for some reason are advertising on-line polker sessions Confused

2. It's an ideal opportunity to contact guests again and make them feel loved.

3. No-one has ever said "no" or not replied to our contact. I guess they just like to see their name in lights!

To see what we've done have a look at:

http://www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk/pages/visitorbook.htm

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Christine
livinginitaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tansy,

No problems with putting on a basic enquiry form, as Vrooje said, this will be sent to you via email once completed.

Not too sure about the 'guestbook', it's best that you control what is put on there just in case (heaven forbid!) someone should write something 'negative'.

The link to VRBO is a good idea, just let me know your ID or reference number and i'll include the link.

Also, I'm thinking it would be worthwhile having a link to multimap so that people can get themselves a route guide to your property.
Sue Dyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re guestbook. I have one running on my friends site http://pub32.bravenet.com/guestbook/2716964301/ hosted through www.bravenet.com (they have a whole host of little add on's such as the ability for visitors to send "postcards" from your site - maybe pics of the property?)

It's free to register and you control the guest book very easily being able to delete any unwanted posts. You can opt for their templates but it is very easy to customise as I have done and used the background from Bob's site and the banner at the top. Downside, you do get ad's unless you stump up for the premium service. There'll be dozens of third party sites offering free guest books like this.
Hope that's useful Tansy Cool

p.s. I just use FrontPage and found the guestbook v easy to add, just customise in Bravenet then paste the code in. Probably not up to designers standards but it does the trick for what we want from it.
How to build your own personal website from scratch