Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

.COM versus .CO.UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpprh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanna ...........

interesting to see on my examples above that a .info comes above a .com on the .co.uk version of google.

And I've yet to see a .EU come in at No1 ?

Google moves in mysterious ways ?

Peter
A-two

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
I appreciate what you are saying, but I'm not valuing a name purely on search engine results, that's only for people who have never heard of me yet. For those who already know me and word of mouth referrals, I need it to be memorable. In that respect, provided you can find something snappy to go in front of the .com, there's nothing to beat it.

After all, by the time you answer their first inquiry, they have usually looked at so many sites and emailed so many people, they have completely forgotten who you are and where they need to go to find your property again. You don't want to send them back to the search engines to do that, because that reduces your chances considerably. In my view, that's one reason why it's important to have something a person can remember (and spell) in their head, and I guarantee you that whatever you have told them, they will type in .com at the end before trying any other extension.

That's also why, if you do buy a different extension as your main domain, first check out who has the .com version of your name, because that's where some people are going to go first, thinking it is you.
How to build your own personal website from scratch