Permis d'exploitation pour louers de chambres d'hotes

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
Jentay

Permis d'exploitation pour louers de chambres d'hotes

Post by Jentay »

Hello
I recently undertook a 1 day's 'formation' and obtained a 'permis d'expoitation pour louers de chambres d'hotes' - well I did this course because I wanted to start offering meals on certain days in my chambres d'hotes. I took the 'permis' to the Mairie as instructed so that it could be registered with the prefecture (or whatever needs to be done). The secretary had not seen this permis before but said she would find out what needed to be done. I have recently spoken to her and she says it's fine to serve meals but no alchohol should be served. Actually, I thought I did the formation in order to serve alcohol with food so cannot understand this. Can any one just clarify the purpose of the formation I have undertaken in case I have misunderstood completely. Many thanks
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

It's some years since we got our licence but we had to get it from the Douanes in a local prefecture town. I think the Mairie could issue permission (not necessarily a licence) to serve breakfast (no alcohol) but only the Douanes could issue alcohol-related licences.

Nowadays, it may be that you have to have done the formation to be issued with the licence but when we applied, we just had to have a copy of the validated letter registering our Cd'H with the Mairie.

If your Mairie isn't very well-informed, look up Douanes for your region.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Jentay, the formation gives you the permis d'exploitation that allows you to apply for the licence - it isn't the licence itself. To serve alcohol with meals you'll need a licence restaurant, which needs to be applied for from your local douanes once you've registered with your mairie.

It used to be - at the time when Normandie and I started up - the case that you had to have a Licence 1 from the mairie to serve tea, coffee etc at breakfast, but that's no longer required.
Jentay

Post by Jentay »

Thank you so much for responses. I have searched but cannot find any references to the 'douanes' in connection with licences nowdays - I thought the 'Mairie' dealt with these now - I will do as you say and check with the douanes.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I suspect it varies according to where you live, Jentay (like everything else here in France!). When I went to our mairie (tiny village) to register our cdh 7 years ago I had to show them a copy of the legislation as they hadn't come across it before!
Jentay

Post by Jentay »

Well, my formation was run by 'Union des Métiers et des Industries de l'Hôtellerie: UMIH' - I emailed them this morning and a lady from there phoned me. The 'recepisse' that I have from the Mairie is all that I need, and I do indeed have the right to serve alcohol with meals. She also said she would phone my Mairie to set them straight - I don't blame the secretary at the Mairie but whoever she spoke to needs to be enlightened.