Paypal wouldn't recognise potential guests credit card

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
rosebud

Paypal wouldn't recognise potential guests credit card

Post by rosebud »

I had an enquiry from Macau in China for 2 weeks in late Sept - early Oct. I sent a PayPal invoice for the deposit however PayPal would not recognise the guest's Macau credit card.

The guest then tried to book through FlipKey but Flip key would have deducted £150: 16.7% of the fee - so I am afraid I declined. My fault for not realising this in advance of course. I declined before I was aware she had a problem with PayPal.

I have suggested the guest books through Holiday Lettings - however she would then finish up with a 10% fee.

Any other ways to approach this?? Suggestions appreciated.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Can't they pay the deposit via bank transfer or do they not have the funds available on their current account?
tavi

Post by tavi »

Any reason why she can't do a Bank transfer?
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Thanks Tavi and Casscat.
You mean Bank transfer via Paypal I assume?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

No. I think they mean direct into your bank account from theirs.
Have you tried contacting PayPal about it?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

They could use their bank account to pay via Paypal instead of a credit card. Alternatively you could suggest they send the money via one of the many transfer companies out there. It works for many and is often cheaper than the fees incurred bank transfers from different currencies.
other

Post by other »

. .
Last edited by other on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Thanks everyone.
Elisa that is helpful knowing about Paypal and Macau.

The guest finished up booking through Flipkey. That would have been absolutely fine but I made a silly mistake. I had incorrect (cheaper) rates & accepted her booking too quickly. Never mind - I have adjusted my rates & will be far, far more careful in the future.