Guests

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
apexblue

Guests

Post by apexblue »

Guest from 2013 phones asking for owners number. We refuse as all bookings are to come to us. Guest has only driven 20 miles to put a note thru the rental where they stayed, insitu guests have contacted owner, who phones number and quotes £30 less than us but insists booking comes thru us. After 10 years in this business there are still surprises.

and just had email from another guest who was moving in last Saturday to say they haven't due to illness. Why leave it so late to tell us.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Owners prerogative but does that affect your income?

Guests may have been hoping they got better, if they have paid what's the issue?
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I suspect apexblue is feeling undermined teapot. If the owners were going to insist that they deal only with apexblue then they really shouldn't have got involved with quoting. I suppose it's possible the owners didn't know that the guests were trying to bypass apexblue. Or maybe the £30 reduction is in direct competition to their own property? Or maybe there isn't a problem and apexblue is merely expressing her surprise that guests would go to such unnecessary lengths to avoid dealing with them. If I were the guest I would be going back to apexblue with my tail between my legs.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Spot on Bunny.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Yes I can understand no one likes to feel undermined but bigger picture and professionalism etc if your income wasn't undermined just brush it off, as Bunny said the, dare I say pompous? guests will be dealing with you anyway so I am sure you can use your womanly ways to make your point but in a professional passive aggressive way..

Things would be mightily different if the £30 off was at your expense.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

As an owner who uses an agent, I am always aware of the potential for conflict of interest. If the agent also offers their own properties, the perception of potential for conflict of interest is greater.

If a guest approaches an owner for already booked dates, the owner offers other dates. If a guest approaches an agent for already booked dates, the agent possibly offers other properties.

If a guest approaches an owner for a reduction in price/cost, the owner considers a discount. If a guest approaches an agent for for a reduction in price/cost, the agent possibly offers other cheaper properties.

I don't think that the owner has acted improperly in attempting to secure a booking for their own property (from a returning guest), though if I was in apexblue's position I might be asking (in a passive non-agressive :D way) for an explanation for the discount.