French email server has rejected my emails to guest as SPAM!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
tavi

French email server has rejected my emails to guest as SPAM!

Post by tavi »

The cheek of it. :shock:

Have sent three responses in the last 24 hours to this guest's three enquiries through Mediavacances. I had a feeling something wasn't getting through.

The rejection has directed me to Free.fr postmaster site who has this explanation, of which I understand not one word.

421 Too many errors from your IP

Reason

Your IP address is not blocked, but we do not accept anymore emails from you temporarily due to too much errors generated by your server. If your server continue to generate a big amount of errors, you will be blacklisted for a while and get the "550 Too many errors from your IP" error.

Solution

If you host your own SMTP server : while waiting this delay, we recommend you to verify your configuration (maybe you are an open relay ?). If you are using the “Sender Verify” method which make a connection to our servers to verify the validity of an email, we recommend you to disable it. Your server may also send automatic notices (undeliverable mails, autoreplies; etc.) when receiving spams. In this case, you should try to refuse a mail delivery the soonest possible (while receiving it) to avoid to have to deliver a delivery status notification and/or not to send an automatic reply on mails detected as spams.

What are they on about?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Can't say I understand the message much either. I very much doubt that your server is an open relay.

Also described here:
http://postmaster.free.fr/index_en.html

Should be unblocked in 24 hours or just use another account to reach them.

I've had similar problems with reaching ISPs in the NL.
tavi

Post by tavi »

thanks Kev,

the guest has now replied to my emails so apparently they're getting through.

when I put my IP address in the Freefr search box last night - it came back as "Blacklisted"
:shock: :?: :shock:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Some thoughts:

Is your email address hosted on your own domain ?
Is your website hosted on a shared server ?

It could be, for example that another customer of your webhosting service has been sending rogue emails.

Or it could even be some a$$hole hacking into your account and sending rogue emails or something.

In any of these cases, get on to your ISP and their teckies will probably be able to help you.

This has happened to me twice and my support gurus were able to solve the problem very quickly, although it may take a day or two for your IP address to permeate any the other blacklisting services out there.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
tavi

Post by tavi »

Thanks e-r,

No, or at least I don't think so. :?

The enquiry emails came to my normal personal email address (@sapo.pt) via the Mediahols/ferias/vacances site. Not via my website.

And I replied from my normal sapo.pt address.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

If it's your own (router's) IP address that's blacklisted isn't the simplest solution to reboot the router so that you are issued a new IP address by Meo?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

tavi wrote:Thanks e-r,

No, or at least I don't think so. :?

The enquiry emails came to my normal personal email address (@sapo.pt) via the Mediahols/ferias/vacances site. Not via my website.

And I replied from my normal sapo.pt address.
Most small business websites will be hosted on shared servers unless you are paying loads of money for a dedicated or virtual server.

The issue seems to be with your ISP sapo.pt so this would be who you contact regarding the failure.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Unfortunately, sapo.pt is the portuguese equivalent of bt.com - hardly a small website host and thus unlikely to be the cause of the problem. I'm now stumped, but I'd still try calling sapo/meo - if you can bear it !

Probably worth trying Richard Henshall's suggestion first.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I'm a bit confused. The error said IP was not blocked. You successfully sent using another account but also say your IP is blacklisted.

As stated, rebooting the modem will often give you a new IP address, if your IP address was the problem.

Big ISPs can also get blacklisted for short periods. I've had orange.fr refused a few times.
tavi

Post by tavi »

My email this morning got through (as he's just replied)
and I've just pasted my IP address into free.fr again and it's NOT blacklisted. woo hoo.

Am still none the wiser but....on to the next crisis.

Thanks anyway.

p.s. In my first email to the guest I included three live links (to my website etc) - could that have set Free.fr alarms bells ringing? I've no idea.