Ridiculous demands for over occupancy

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Bunny

Ridiculous demands for over occupancy

Post by Bunny »

Is it just me, but I'm suddenly getting an influx of enquiries blatantly requesting to over occupy? They are usually accompanied with comments like "we are happy to sleep in sleeping bags on the floor", or "we'll bring our own travel cots" and "I trust that's OK". Well no, it is definitely not OK. I've just had another one for my sleeps 8 max cottage for 10 guests. Not only did they want to bring 4 travel cots, which would pose a fire escape risk, but they also wanted an under occupancy discount for there only being 6 adults in proper beds! Not one of the enquirers has ever offered to pay any more for the additional guests (not that it would make any difference). Another one recently said "so you won't even let them just come for one or two nights so they can come and see the new baby? They won't be there at all during the day - they just need a bed for the night!" :o Perhaps I should say ‘sorry but there is not room at the inn, but I could offer you a stable and donkey!’ Surely asking to over occupy can only be a cost saving exercise. Just imagine trying to book 10 guests into one hotel room! :evil:
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

It always amazes me how many people think that children 'don't count' or that we can reduce the price for children. In my view, much as I love kids, they are the ones that cause the damage and the mess, particularly toddlers who seem to cover every surface with sticky handprints at a 2ft level around every room and also leave cereal residue down the sofa and sweet papers everywhere. So I definitely charge for children as they cost me the most in cleaning time and damage.

I know kids get excited but on the rare occasions we are there when guests plus kids arrive (we have a keysafe so don't normally see kids) you have to grit your teeth as the kids fly into the bedroom and jump on the beds... making a mental note to check for broken slats when they have departed...
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Bunny, I was once compared to the innkeeper of Bethlehem by a vicar for refusing a 5th adult in my sleeps 4 apartment. Although I had allowed these guests to sleep 5 on a previous occasion but due to their complaints about lack of space, I decided to never again let to 5. They were also my dirtiest set of guests, so I wasn't keen to make an exception.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Nightowl wrote: I know kids get excited but on the rare occasions we are there when guests plus kids arrive (we have a keysafe so don't normally see kids) you have to grit your teeth as the kids fly into the bedroom and jump on the beds... making a mental note to check for broken slats when they have departed...
You must be psychic Nightowl. If you only knew how pertinent that comment was to me at the moment. But that's for another possible future thread.....
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I have often been told "the kids will sleep 2 to a single bed" - er no they won't, not in my house.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Yes we seem to have had quite a few over occupancy requests lately. One was for 2 adults, 3 children and 2 dogs in a teensy weensy little 2 bedroom cottage which I manage. They offered to bring an airbed for the third child. Basically there is no conceivable space where they could have placed it. The cottage would have been trashed.

We had 6 people in our sleeps 6 cottage over Christmas, but unbeknownst to me at least another 3 were gathering there every day (a neighbour who also has holiday lets counted them on several occasions) and not sure whether they were staying over too. We were away so didn't find out until afterwards. The place was trashed - worst damage ever.

We also get people who put one or two dogs on the original enquiry form (which we accept) and then miraculously another dog appears.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It's normal in France not to count the kids. The guests bring blowup mattresses for their children to sleep on the floor. Not commenting if it is right or wrong and I charge a little supplement now because of the wear and tear. But it works out much cheaper per person if you don't count the children...I understand their reasoning to a certain extent.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We sold a week on Ebay last year (it was worth a try), they wanted to bring 8 people to a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom property. apparently 4 kids would go top to tail in 2 beds and 2 toddlers in the travel cot. I think not!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

We've had an enquiry for 2 adults and 4 teenagers in our sleeps 4 cottage - can the two 15 year old boys sleep on the sofa, surely it's a sofabed? No it's not and no they can't. Well, can they sleep on blow-up mattresses in the twin room? No.

And these are the sort of people who would be the first to complain if the bus driver squeezed extra people on the bus, or the airlines shrank the legroom even further..... :evil:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

PW in Polemi wrote: And these are the sort of people who would be the first to complain if the bus driver squeezed extra people on the bus, or the airlines shrank the legroom even further..... :evil:
Or when they wasn't enough seats in the lounge or at the dining table for everyone or they ran out of hot water when they all tried to have baths and showers one after the other, or when they all wanted the loo at the same time in the morning! It just doesn't seem to occur to them that beds aren't the only problem and that we only provide facilities for the maximum occupancy. Why would you want to ruin your own holiday by slumming it like that!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Bunny wrote: Why would you want to ruin your own holiday by slumming it like that!
Because for some people the price is the important thing. They want to pay as little as possible and the more people the less per person they pay.
bessie

Post by bessie »

I make it very clear guests on booking form only,my excuse if I need one is you will invalidate my insurance and I will ask you to leave.Please don't ask for favours as saying no may offend.
Maybe not correct but if they have cheek to ask I have cheek to say no.
I have become a bit hard sorry but bad long term tenants do this to you.
:wink:
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

i remember one case which was really, really unbelievable. a local pub owner had invited a rock band (!) to perform on a saturday evening. he called me, knowing i run a 4-bed B&B.

his questions:

is it okay for the 5 men to occupy one room together? they'll bring sleeping mats and sleeping bags. my answer: NO.

is it okay they pick up the key earlier, as the pub closes at 2 am?

my answer: dear man, absolutely NO - 5 drunken rock musicians, stumbling around in the house where i live myself...? bringing more beer with them perhaps, going to bed around 4 am...?

another question was: can they bring their musical instruments (yes, including drums!!!) to stay with them, in their room?

this was what made me laugh loud... the room in question is a mere 20 m2, containing two single beds, a small table and a mini-fridge on top of a chest with drawers!

no, he didn't want both rooms - 'the costs are too high', and i explained to him: i was not even going to accept your booking, as overoccupancy is against the rules of my insurance company, and also not allowed by the city council.

i suggested they put up a tent on the nearest camping site... he was not amused! :-)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

:lol: :lol:
Next time I book a flight, I think I'll ask for just one seat and I'll offer to sit on my husband's lap. What do you reckon my chances are? :wink:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Bunny wrote: What do you reckon my chances are? :wink:
He's your husband - what do you reckon your chances are? :wink: :wink: