getsidekick - see who opens your emails

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
tavi

Post by tavi »

kevsboredagain wrote:
tavi wrote:jeez I've always known that some tracking opening etc...is possible but it still gives me the creeps.

I'm all for effective marketing but is it only me who finds this an invasion of privacy? I'm surprised that these emails can go out without a clear indication somewhere within them that they will track if I open them, what time, how many times I open them, and even possibly where I am?
Many will have a setting to do exactly that.

Bear in mind that when you surf the web, the webmaster knows your IP address, where you came from, your operating system and your webbrowser, not to mention which pages you clicked on.
Yup, Kev am aware of that...and indeed I use google analytics myself. I haven't really thought through my objection, but I do feel a difference between my "public" surfing the public web, and my behaviour when receiving emails to my private and personal email addy.

I'm not being precious....I'm aware that the notion of privacy is very much changed since t'internet was t'invented. :O
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

kevsboredagain wrote:Bear in mind that when you surf the web, the webmaster knows your IP address, where you came from, your operating system and your webbrowser, not to mention which pages you clicked on.
But I'm just another bit of data; they are not seeking to build a relationship with me personally (even if they think they are!) whereas someone hoping I'll book their property is. The level of anonymity is different.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I haven't taken it personally - It never really occurred to me that anyone would think it was an invasion of privacy but I can see now that it could be considered so.

The main reason I got it was to check that emails were received (or not!) - the side 'bonus' (sorry, probably not the correct word but i'm in a rush) is that I can see how often it's opened and often after that I get a solid enquiry. It just flashes up on my screen as a notification - I'm not sitting there sifting through anything or manically checking.

But yeah, i acknowledge the various points of view on it. but I will still use it none the less.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......