Constructive criticism/feedback on our new site please!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
teapot

Post by teapot »

casasantoestevo wrote:
teapot wrote:Just a little two cents worth, everyones covered the pictures but the shot of the balcony with the wine, a bit of fresh paint as it's right in the centre of the shot next to the bottle, dark areas of dirty paintwork/render, just a clean up :wink:
Or photoshop!
Hmm maybe that's why the photos don't work on your site, too busy photoshopping them instead of getting out ya paintbrush :lol:

Just pointing out that wasn't working, don't know if you knew or not? no nastiness
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
gardennorm

Post by gardennorm »

I have to agree with the comments about the photos.

Without excellent photos to grab your site visitors they will just move on.

Our site has a mix of properties, some that were professionally photographed and others that are a good amateur standard.

The professionally photographed property is fully booked for 2015 and 75% booked for 2016! The properties with the amateur photos have a few bookings for this year, it takes a lot more work to get people to book the amateur photographed ones, and usually when they arrive they say the photos just don't do it justice!

Also looking through my site stats, there is a huge difference in the interaction between the two styles of photos.

It is not cheap to get high quality photos but if you can afford it I would strongly recommend it.

Hope you have great success, and of course plenty of fun along the way!
Skopelos villas - Holiday villas to rent in Greece
Kayaking Greece - Sea kayaking holidays in Skopelos
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

gardennorm wrote:Without excellent photos to grab your site visitors they will just move on.

Our site has a mix of properties, some that were professionally photographed and others that are a good amateur standard.

The professionally photographed property is fully booked for 2015 and 75% booked for 2016! The properties with the amateur photos have a few bookings for this year, it takes a lot more work to get people to book the amateur photographed ones, and usually when they arrive they say the photos just don't do it justice!
William Albert Allard wrote:

The work of most photographers would be improved immensely if they could do one thing: get rid of the extraneous. If you strive for simplicity, you are more likely to reach the viewer.
Jim
teapot

Post by teapot »

Jimbo wrote:
gardennorm wrote:Without excellent photos to grab your site visitors they will just move on.

William Albert Allard wrote:

The work of most photographers would be improved immensely if they could do one thing: get rid of the extraneous. If you strive for simplicity, you are more likely to reach the viewer.
Just guessing here Jim but are you a photographer? :D
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

teapot wrote:Just guessing here Jim but are you a photographer? :D
True. But, in my defence (assuming I need one), in my time on this forum I've always advocated that owners do as much of their own photography as possible, before they seek the attention of a professional photographer (see my comments earlier in this thread).

Such is the ease of use, modest price and quality of modern digital cameras (linked to the comprehensive help available on LMH) that sisters - and even brothers - are fully capable of doing much of it for themselves.

But gardennorm's comments are a timely wake-up call for any owner prepared to settle for mediocrity.
Jim
teba18

Post by teba18 »

Agree with kevsboredagain re hotmail address for contact. To be seen as really professional, I'd definitely use your own domain name - or at least something other than hotmail.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Jimbo wrote:
teapot wrote:Just guessing here Jim but are you a photographer? :D
True. But, in my defence (assuming I need one), in my time on this forum I've always advocated that owners do as much of their own photography as possible, before they seek the attention of a professional photographer (see my comments earlier in this thread).

Such is the ease of use, modest price and quality of modern digital cameras (linked to the comprehensive help available on LMH) that sisters - and even brothers - are fully capable of doing much of it for themselves.

But gardennorm's comments are a timely wake-up call for any owner prepared to settle for mediocrity.
No defence needed Jim, I just need to make sure mine are up to par when I complete my new site as I now know what to expect :wink:
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

Thanks everyone, I will try and get some professional photos up when we have a few pennies in the bank (this setting up a holiday rental Jazz is not cheap!), and hopefully this will impact on the bookings. I must say however that I can't believe the quality of some of the other listings on our main listing site air bnb! You can on there however tell between the people that have invested in professional pics compared to ours. Also, ours were taken when the work was still in progress so there are loose wires, grubby paintwork, lack of curtains etc
Trying hard to update the content to keep it fresh and relevant to guests.
Will keep the hotmail thing in mind, how do you get a email address such as stay@astorchamonix.com (sorry not great on computers!)
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

Ps, I'm trying to 'pay my way' and reply in other forums to contribute, but don't have a huge amount of experience to share just yet!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Astorchamonix wrote: I must say however that I can't believe the quality of some of the other listings on our main listing site air bnb! You can on there however tell between the people that have invested in professional pics compared to ours.
AirBnb offer a free professional photo service. Perhaps some of these ads used this service or are agents in disguise who also used a professional photographer.
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

Thanks kevsboredagain, I'll look into that as always good to get something for nothing!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Will keep the hotmail thing in mind, how do you get a email address such as stay@astorchamonix.com (sorry not great on computers!)
Normally where your website is hosted will provide email services too.
Ask them about it.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

casasantoestevo wrote:
Normally where your website is hosted will provide email services too.
Ask them about it.
They have a PMP site so email is not so easy and not provided as part of the package. One reason why it's cheap.

https://promotemyplace.zendesk.com/entr ... omain-name

What you need to search for is "email hosting" where a 3rd party company will provide you with email hosting, for use with your domain name. Should be less than £50 a year.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Did not look at the hosting, just assumed that most could supply email services, unless they were one of the "suspect" host. No names here :wink:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I understand you can set up an alias using gmail for example. Would that work? Not sure of the cost but my web guy suggested it to me as he reckons Gmail has one of the best spam filters out there.