Rip In Pool Liner

For anything to do with the garden and pool
mi casa

Rip In Pool Liner

Post by mi casa »

Just got an call from our Manager to say there is a rip in the pool liner. He is going to try and repair it. Any other pool owners ever had this trouble. Also how much for a new one? I dread to think how much. Always something. :(
Would love to retire but can't so will have to keep doing the lottery!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I've just had a quote of £1500 to replace ours which is ageing a bit now, it's 28' 15'. Is it a large rip? We've repaired many little nicks with patches specifically for using underwater.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
mi casa

Post by mi casa »

Yes Kathy it's a big rip about 18 inches long and at the water line. Any suggestions. We have had a lot of expenses recently and really hope it can be repaired rather than replaced.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Mi Casa, don't panic. Last May we had a small hole in the liner in one corner (the one that catches most sun) that rapidly became HUGE - about 21" x 3" - just above the water level.

We measured, and checked with Border Choice and some of their designs were deep enough for a new border to cover the hole. The hole had to be patched up first, then the border stuck over the top.

As I recall, we paid about €400 which included fitting, for the cottage 4m x 8m pool.

We can thoroughly recommend the borders sold by Border Choice - unfortunately I don't think they do the fitting beyond Cyprus, so if you got a new border from them, you or your manager would have to install it (fitting instructions, glue, the lot, included in the kit).

http://www.borderchoice.com/

The new border is brilliant, nothing sticks to it. :lol: And it improved the appearance of the pool at the cottage so much, we ordered a new border for our own pool. :lol:

Edited to add: If you look at the Border Choice gallery, you can see the roman end steps of our home pool with a forearm in the foreground about to stick another section of border onto the old tiles!
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
mi casa

Post by mi casa »

Thanks PW that is a relief. We were going to put a border around the pool when we go out in April to cover the brown water marks. We have some info on a company in France but will look into your guys in Cyprus. We had intended doing it ourselves anyway. Thanks again really appreciate it.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Ooh that's a nasty one, how did that happen? Is it a straight tear no side tear or awkward shape?
mi casa wrote:He is going to try and repair it.
As Yoda said there is no try, only do and if someone doesn't know what they are doing a bodged up job could make it harder/impossible to do a decent repair.

There is a very good repair tape available by the foot/metre to suit but the liner must be very very clean to allow it to stick.

Before considering a border, how old is the liner, not much point in adding a border to a liner that is approaching the end of it's life.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
mi casa

Post by mi casa »

Pool is eight years so I quess it is wear and tear. OH and I just discussing whether in fact we should go for a new liner. Will wait and see what our Manager - who by the way has a lot of experience has to say. Will also get some quotes for a new liner.

Many thanks once again for the help and advice. What would I do without LMH.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Ok, just let me know if you need the tape, can be sent out by post.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
mi casa

Post by mi casa »

Thanks teapot.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hello Teapot, can you provide liners too? We have a Mirage pool which is no longer in production so typically a replacement liner no longer available either :evil: and we're looking at having one custom made.
Kathy
teapot

Post by teapot »

Hi Kathy, yes to liner question but accuracy of the measurement would be down to you unless the cutters have the details for your pool on file which is sometimes possible as I use multiple sources for liners to try and get the best price for a good liner.

Mirage pool, is that a Zodiac pool?
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Ooh this might be a good option :D No, it's made by Aqualeader, here's a link to drawing and dimensions of it. Is that enough for you to give us a quote?
Kathy
mi casa

Post by mi casa »

Couple of questions for Kathy and teapot. Kathy you were quoted £1,500 for a new liner. Can you tell me the name of the Company and if they do business in Portugal? We though a new liner would cost at least €5,000. Teapot I 'm sure we have the measurements of our pool in the house in Portugal. How would we go about fitting the liner. Can't image it would be an easy job. Pools can be a bloody PITA and only it's needed for rental purposes I would get rid.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Thanks Kathy, that should do for a quote, Plain coloured? various colours available besides blue :lol:

Mi Casa, fiddly is how I would describe the job, pro's use a big vacuum to suck the liner to the sides but with a bit of time and patience you can do it. pools are meant to be hard work so pool companies can earn income but done right they can be really easy. If you can get me the sizes no harm in trying with a quote.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Yes I'd go with 'fiddly' teapot :wink:
PW - I should think that quote would have been for fitting too? My quote was for supply only, we put the pool in ourselves so are confident in fitting the liner, hopefully......the only issue we will probably have is the condition of the corrugated metal wall which may well have corroded in places and will need dealing with first....

It was a company called covers4pools and yes they do supply Portugal, the chap I spoke to though has stopped answering his emails.....

Teapot - We're looking at the standard patterned with border 30 thou liner. It's a J-beaded fixing. The only issue is the height of the wall, it's advertised as a 52" pool but my husband measured it at 50" so not sure whether it is actually 52" or whether that is expected to include the coping. Would you know? We're out there on Monday so can check any other details.
Kathy