A holiday in Devon - 6 month free listing trial

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Joanna

A holiday in Devon - 6 month free listing trial

Post by Joanna »

Had an email from http://www.aholidayindevon.co.uk offering a 6 month free trial listing with a rate of £50 per year from then onwards.

The site looks fresh and professional and they got my listing online within a couple of hours of submitting it. They don't rank highly at the moment - hopefully that will improve as they get more owners on board and work on their SEO.

If you've got a Devon property why not give them a go?

We're on the look out for niche sites that encourage bookings direct with owners and this could be one that's worth supporting. I'll let you know how we get on when it comes to the end of the 6 month trial.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Looks a nice clean site although I don't like the typeface! Just get them to amend the lower case devon they have on their front page. :wink:

Good luck to them. :)
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

+ 1 Like the site. Shame i am not in Devon although they do seem to be mostly B and B's. I agree with Nemo about the typeface. Weird joining of the v in Devon makes it read like Denon - funny how something small like that can be off putting!
Annew

Post by Annew »

I've been in the business in Devon for a number of years now, this in the latest in a long line of sites and probably not the best I've seen.

They also have not mentioned a massive part of Devon for tourists (particularly those that want to get away from the tourist areas), mid-Devon (the bit between the moors and the coasts)

Typeface is weird and mapping is not too good. If they get off the ground, great for them, but there are better Devon listing sites IMHO that properly understand the county.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Annew - which Devon sites would you recommend? We're looking for smaller sites targeted at the south west. I know we might have to list with quite a few to get 1 or 2 bookings from each but then at least we won't have all our eggs in one basket. I'm hoping that in the long term it will be worth the effort.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Annew

Post by Annew »

Hi Jo

Until last year I had great success with Independent Cottages, but even enquiries have dried up a bit from them lately.

I'm currently undergoing a free trial with Rick Bond's site - My Favourite Holiday Cottages - from which I've had a few enquiries and a confirmed booking for a peak week, so I expect I will renew with them when the time comes. (I'm ashamed to say that my ad on the site is awful and I just haven't had the time to deal with it :oops: )

A pal of mine has just gone with Sawday's and that has generated quite a bit of business for her.

Apart from that, over the past 16 years various companies have come and gone, but I still get most of my business (regrettably) from HA.

We are changing our business a bit, and looking to rent both our properties to larger groups for shorter periods of time, so I'm currently looking for alternative sites - if you find anything good for Devon, do let me know :-)
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

Anyone got any further feedback on aholidayindevon.co.uk ?

Has the site been successful for anyone?

newtoit