Today's enquiry by text message.

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Hells Bells

Today's enquiry by text message.

Post by Hells Bells »

We want to book your property for the summer and would like some information.

:?: Information on what? Dates? Prices

There is another number on there which could be a phone number, but it is incomplete with no dialling code.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Doesn't your phone tell you the source (i.e. record the telephone number from which it was sent?). If there is nothing there, I would be very very suspicious. I would be suspicious anyway about the message. I think they are trying to get your email address in a phishing attempt.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Yes it does and I've replied, and the mobile number looks genuine, but I have had no response . I've asked them to reply to the email with any questions or to call me. Just seems so odd to ask for more information without some clue as to what they require.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I get lots of enquiries by sms now, mainly from LBC. I hate them as they are brief and you have no idea how many people they are enquiring for or which house sometimes. No name, very impersonal. But it seems to be going that way now.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I wouldn't dream of making an enquiry via SMS. Far too casual and not serious.
teba18

Post by teba18 »

I think some people simply can't be bothered to read the details wherever they see holiday lets advertised and just want to be spoonfed.
Last week we had an e-mail that just said, 'interested in booking from ... to .... Send details.' What details? Despite already feeling a bit irritated by the tone, I responded very politely, explaining those dates were already booked but if their dates were flexible, perhaps they might have a look at the availability calendar etc to see if any other time would suit them. Reply was a curt (& no punctuation) - 'send me available dates.' I just thought if they couldn't be bothered to look for themselves, I wasn't sure I wanted them (probably wouldn't read any of the info we send out) so I sent a very brief 'recommend you check calendar'.
Fist time I've ever done something like that and so far there's been no response - as expected - and I'm afraid I absolutely don't care! Gave me a tremendous amount of satisfaction!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

teba18 wrote:Reply was a curt (& no punctuation) - 'send me available dates.'
How incredibly rude are some people! I really don't understand how they think that kind of communication is acceptable. I truly would not want that kind of oik staying at my property. What an ar$e!
Marks

Post by Marks »

Available?
Price?
Best price?

Sometimes that is all I have to go on. I am tempted to reply:

Yes.
€600.
€6000 :wink:

Last Monday:

We would be interested in your accommodation for these dates if 500stg would be considered.

25% discount for September in March? Take a hike sunshine.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

I had a text enquiry this morning which was from a previous guest and they have now booked so happy about that. I think if your mobile number is listed somewhere on your website/listing/advert then a text is a perfectly acceptable way to enquire.

However, I do agree that some people can't be bothered to put in any details or look for themselves. We do sometimes get enquiries 'do you have any availability for the next couple of months' so I guess it depends on the degree of politeness, and typically communicating by text is much shorter and to the point.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

No reply to emails or texts, so I guess that one is dead, and I've had a request for the remainder of August, so there's not really a lot left.